to keep or not to keep (my "surprise" rooster)?

Marianne25

Songster
5 Years
Sep 1, 2015
Northwest CT (Litchfield County)
I had every intention of giving away our rooster (Cecile turned out to be a Cecil)! I purchased 7 "females" but my one barred rock is obviously a male. I am only raising chickens for eggs (and for fun) so really have no reason to keep him. My husband and son are working hard on me to get me to keep the rooster; what are your opinions as far as his value in protecting the flock? Of course since I've raised them since day old chicks it's getting harder and harder to think about giving him away (though he is pretty "mean" sometimes to the girls, once in a while I'll see him snuggling up to one of the hens and it is pulling at the heartstrings...it's almost like he knows what I'm thinking of doing- ha ha). I already know I can bring him to our local Agway and they could easily find a home for him. I'm not sure what will happen to the "pecking order", since for now he's obviously at the top!

(FYI, our birds are 8 weeks old)

Just wondering as I'm sure there are many others that have gone through this. Opinions are appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Are roosters aloud in your area?
If so I woukd keep him.
My reasons for this are
He will protect the flock
Call them for food
Round them up for bed
And if you ever want to hatch chicks
You will be able to hatch them because you have a rooster
Goodluck

I personally haven't had roosters but my dad used to and he says they were great for the hens but he couldn't stand the constant crowing and had to get rid of him for it. If you could put up with the crowing, I think having a rooster is a great idea and then he could fertilize the eggs and you could add to your flock whenever you like.

Back
Top Bottom