"To lay or not to lay" that is the question?

amcconnell

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
I have a chicken that goes into a nest box everyday for about an hour and then comes off announcing to all that she has laid an egg but when you check the box....nothing is there. What's up? Is it wishful thinking on her part.
hmm.png
She has always been an excellent layer and has never had any issues before but she started this about a week ago. Any suggestion?

I have a chicken that goes into a nest box everyday for about an hour and then comes off announcing to all that she has laid an egg but when you check the box....nothing is there. What's up? Is it wishful thinking on her part.
hmm.png
She has always been an excellent layer and has never had any issues before but she started this about a week ago. Any suggestion?
I have a gal doing the same thing after a few days of her not laying I did a check on her to see if she was egg bound and she wasn't still haven't seen an egg from her,I figured with our weather changing that she is finished for the season. I still check her every few days to be safe.

Yeah....I checked and she doesn't seem to be egg bound or in any discomfort. Hopefully she will kick back in but you may be right; she may be done for the season.

How old is she?
She is 3yrs so I know that she will slow down. I have to say that she has been an awesome hen. She is a little Black Minorca and has laid consistently for 3 yrs so if it's her time to slow down I totally understand.
smile.png

It's the time of year that older hens will molt. She may not be losing feathers yet, but could have stopped laying to prepare for it. Also, at her age, laying issues are a possibility, such as internal laying. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do.
Thanks for the info....I will definitely keep an eye on her. I pray she's just getting ready to molt or slowing down.

Back
Top Bottom