"To lay or not to lay" that is the question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amcconnell, Sep 18, 2013.

1. amcconnell

amcconnell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    I have a chicken that goes into a nest box everyday for about an hour and then comes off announcing to all that she has laid an egg but when you check the box....nothing is there. What's up? Is it wishful thinking on her part. [​IMG] She has always been an excellent layer and has never had any issues before but she started this about a week ago. Any suggestion?

2. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    I have a gal doing the same thing after a few days of her not laying I did a check on her to see if she was egg bound and she wasn't still haven't seen an egg from her,I figured with our weather changing that she is finished for the season. I still check her every few days to be safe.

3. amcconnell

Sep 4, 2008
    Yeah....I checked and she doesn't seem to be egg bound or in any discomfort. Hopefully she will kick back in but you may be right; she may be done for the season.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is she?

5. amcconnell

Sep 4, 2008
    She is 3yrs so I know that she will slow down. I have to say that she has been an awesome hen. She is a little Black Minorca and has laid consistently for 3 yrs so if it's her time to slow down I totally understand. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

7. amcconnell

Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks for the info....I will definitely keep an eye on her. I pray she's just getting ready to molt or slowing down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by