To much protein, to little hens?

Nobody should be feeding their poultry 70% protein for any length of time.
Right, but your statement didn't make any distinctions for duration.
Chickens can handle up to 70% protein before getting gout.

Claiming that anything above 18% protein causes problems is ridiculous.
Correct, but that was not the claim.... there were clarifiers.
Anything over 18% risks long term damage to kidneys and could trigger gout if fed for a long period.

Hehe... Wyoming. My family comes from Wyoming (meaning my parents, so... 50 some years ago). Always get a warm fuzzy when I see the state name. Anyway, so it sounds like I would be better off feeding the "all flock" type feed? I get it in crumbles, anyway, so that I can tell the difference at a glace from layer.

As to why I might want to consolidate feed has nothing to do with the birds but everything to do with making it simpler (not easier but un-complicated). I have the kids help me with chores and two of my children have autism so the simpler I can make it, the more I can involve my kids.

D
I am feeding a 20% protein all flock to chickens, guineas and turkeys. I use pellets because they appear to cause less waste than do crumbles for me. Pellets vs crumbles is a personal choice and does not have anything to do with the nutritional value.

I am feeding a 20% protein all flock to chickens, guineas and turkeys. I use pellets because they appear to cause less waste than do crumbles for me. Pellets vs crumbles is a personal choice and does not have anything to do with the nutritional value.
That's what all of mine get too.

3. Quail are more easily kept in cages and are generally not mixed in with larger birds, so keeping their feed separate should be pretty easy.

Good luck!
I'm pretty sure I have a couple chickens that would eat the quail if they had the chance. I wonder what % protein they are?

I feed 20% to everyone. Everyone free ranges, so I don’t worry too much about it.

I use the 20% because I have so many chicks and I also use the 20% for my meat birds that run with the flock.

When the meat birds are not around, and in all the feeders they cannot get to, I typically mix in oats to save money and reduce the protein to around 16%.

Back
Top Bottom