To paint the walls inside the coop or Not

Bigfatchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
sarasota, Florida
I was wondering if it was best to paint the wall inside the coop or just leave it as is. I dont know whats best?
Im in the middle of building an 8x8 coop with a 20ft run.

I painted the inside of my coop with some leftover paint I had from painting my daughter's room. I did this because I thought it would make it easier to clean up poo from a sealed surface.

I would paint it. Makes the wood last longer.
smile.png

We painted and repainted and made sure everything was water tight, because when we clean out the litter, we take in the hose and wash the entire thing out.
Then we get the wet/dry vac and suck it all up. And then we put a big box fan in the window and dry it out, then we put in the new shavings...and then the girls are afraid to re-enter the coop.
hu.gif

too new, too clean, but it smells good and and it looks healthy. Make it washable. They are the dustiest things...

We painted our interior and happy we did. Chicken poop has a habit of flying everywhere and it's certainly easier to hose down poop from painted walls. We just used up some leftover exterior house paint that we would have to pay to dump at the haz mat center in town.

I used untreated lumber so I painted everything. Primer only on the inside, with a top coat on the outside (and roof) It's only a few months old now, but so far so good.

In hind-sight I probably should have used treated lumber, would have ended up cheaper I think

I did not paint the inside for fear that the girls might chip off some paint and eat it. I don't know if it would hurt them to eat it but why take a chance. Believe me they do see a little spot and start pecking. So I made sure the outside was painted and air tight for rain but the inside I left as simple as it gets. Then again my coop is just for 3 girls and it is an 'A' frame coop.

I'm in favor of painting for clean up reasons. If you leave untreated wood the poo will soak in to the wood and the stench will be awful after a while. A coat of paint can help prevent smells from soaking in as as well as make clean up easier.

Back
Top Bottom