To ventilate more or not to ventilate more?

Kkakes414

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
South Eastern Virginia
I am been making some adjustments to my coop and I’m wondering if I need to add a little more ventilation. I have upper cross ventilation if you can see in the photos, then I have a window that opens on the door. Should I put some type of vent across from the door? Or is it good the way it is?

Attachments

• IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    659.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6182.jpeg
    IMG_6182.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6183.jpeg
    IMG_6183.jpeg
    493.3 KB · Views: 42
I just went through the same thing....I got my saw out and buzzed a new hole/vent. The heat has been brutal the last week or 2 here. They are enjoying their new window, they sit on the roost and look out now.

I’m wondering if I need to add a little more ventilation.
Yes.

I'm seeing more in your avatar pic than the ones you posted in this thread.
The small enclosed part of the coop and run looks to be lacking in ventilation.
I would remove the gable part of that that's under the run roof.

Are the roof eaves open?
More pics of entire structure, inside and out, would help here.

Yes.

I'm seeing more in your avatar pic than the ones you posted in this thread.
The small enclosed part of the coop and run looks to be lacking in ventilation.
I would remove the gable part of that that's under the run roof.

Are the roof eaves open?
More pics of entire structure, inside and out, would help here.
Took some more photos for you. So I have to 2 sets of silver vent and gable it open air can escape through the corrugated parts of the roof and the ridge itself. The eaves are pretty much closed off but aren’t sealed there are slight gaps. And I do have the window in the one side. I’m thinking of adding a second window or at least opening across from the other window.

Attachments

• IMG_6206.jpeg
    IMG_6206.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6207.jpeg
    IMG_6207.jpeg
    746.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    709.3 KB · Views: 39
Took some more photos for you. So I have to 2 sets of silver vent and gable it open air can escape through the corrugated parts of the roof and the ridge itself. The eaves are pretty much closed off but aren’t sealed there are slight gaps. And I do have the window in the one side. I’m thinking of adding a second window or at least opening across from the other window.
That's OK for the gable that is exposed to the weather,
but the one that's under the run roof needs to be opened way up,like cut the whole gable out.

That's OK for the gable that is exposed to the weather,
but the one that's under the run roof needs to be opened way up,like cut the whole gable out.
My question though is why does a run need more ventilation when the whole thing is already open? I’m not trying to sound sarcastic just curious?

The original question was about the coop. The purpose of more ventilation is air flow, you want fresh air and heat to pass through and keep the coop as dry and cool as possible.
I understand venting the coop, but I’m confused why it’s being recommended to vent a run when the run is completely open minus the roof, although the gable is not sealed allows air flow through it. 🤔 I just wanna make sure my girls have a good place 😊

I believe @aart is saying to ventilate the shared wall with the run so you have protection from rain coming into an exterior side. It's not for the run but for the coop.

High ventilation is the best kind. Those metal registers are too far down from the peak to be moving much of the hot, upwards moving air. They are too small. So by cutting out an entire triangle section near the roof peak of the wall that is shared with the run, more hot air can escape without causing weather issues.

Back
Top Bottom