To wash or not to wash...eggs

paganfish

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2007
Fleming, Colorado
Hey Gang-

I need some feedback.

While a friend was over, I went to collect eggs. When I went to put them away he asked, "Aren't you going to wash them first?" I shrugged and said, "I only wash them if they have poop or blood on them..."

He turned green under the gills and said, "but, they come out of a hen's *you know what*!"

(nice image, huh?)
roll.png

I told him that IF I were selling eggs, I would wash them, regardless. It would make them look more umm, marketable but, since I am not! I figured..."what's the point!"

The eggs I put away (that he wanted me to wash) were CLEAN! I mean, other than the fact that I had just brought them in...you just couldn't/wouldn't be able to tell. :|

Is this wrong? I wonder how many folks on here wash their eggs ALWAYS and how many do it like I do? I told him I would check on here and let him know...(he rolled his eyes but, here I am!) If you tell me I'm to wash them ALL the time...I'll do it from now on!
wink.png

Peace-

Pedro

PS I told him I had read somewhere that washing the eggs breaks down something in them that makes them NOT be fresher longer. Or some such? Am I just full of hot air? Or is this somewhat accurate?

Last edited:
I never wash them.. Then again.. I never eat them.. I incubate everything!

I am in agreement with you on the "not so fresh" anymore!

That is correct...the egg has a natural flora that if you wash off will lessen the shelf life. BUT the Big Farm EGG industry washes all eggs...which if you sell them you HAVE to wash them regardless.
I do not wash the ones I collect until I use them...for MYSELF.
The ones I sell are washed immediately before taking them to the farm that purchases from me.
I just started selling them....in the state of NH you do not have to have a license to sell eggs. Just have to label the packing FRESH...and UNGRADED if you are not weighing/grading them.
D.gif

Like you, I never wash them unless there's something "unsavory" on the egg, which is fairly uncommon. It's my understanding that washing an egg can actually "force" bacteria through the shell, but if you do need to wash one, you should use water slightly warmer than the egg itself. I think that was supposed to help prevent some of the bacteria going through the shell issues?
hmm.png
This is where my memory of what I read gets foggy!
Peace, and bon appetit!

I never wash my eggs unless there is poop on them, which doesn't happen that often and then I hold them under running water warmer than the egg and try to wipe sort of away from the egg, not pressing hard. Even when they are sold, I don't wash them. They are labeled as ungraded and guaranteed fresh. No one has complained yet, but maybe they're assuming I wash them. Dont know!

The eggs that I gather for eating, I wash and leave them to dry on a towel. The eggs that I gather to incubate, I never wash. I have tried both ways, washing and not washing for incubation. It seems that I have the better results from hatching from non-washed eggs.
Soonerdog

Last edited:
I guess I should have been more specific. What I meant was eggs for consumption...do those get washed? I realize if you're incubating the eggs then you would not (or should not) wash...or so I've heard.

Sorry...
sad.png

Thanks for all the feedback I've gotten, thus far! It has been very validating (I'm not the only one doing the none-washing-unless-icky) and most helpful (I somewhat knew what I was talking about in reference to washing of eggs)!

Peace-

Pedro

PS I am going to print all responses and show them to my friend...what a freak, I am. I know!
tongue.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom