To wash or not to wash...eggs

Mine have been left out on the counter for two weeks with no change in the eggs. Seachick used ot live on a boat and they never refrigerated theirs. I do not wash my eggs either unless there is some poo on them and then just wipe them off. I would not add any oil to washed eggs, but that is just my own personal opinion...not critizing...just wouldn't do that. Oils tend to pick up all kinds of odors but like I said, that is only my personal opinion.
I was surprised at the taste difference in eggs left out and not in the fridge. Oh, our house stays in the mid to upper sixties. I don't think I would leave the eggs out if the house was overheated??

Stinky eggs are rotten eggs, handle with caution!
wink.png

I do not wash mine unless they're dirty and if they're exceptionally dirty I cook and feed back to the chickens. Currently they're for my own consumption. They do stay fresh longer if not washed, I read it in a magazine, either Hobby Farm or Mother Earth News (I read both, so I don't remember which had the article).

Oh yeah, I do refrigerate once I've gathered a full dozen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wash either unless there is poo which out of the last 100, I think there was two, usually there is pine shavings stuck to them which just rub off. I only put into the frig, ones that will be used shortly (I bake daily for our schools, "After School Program"snacks) but the others, I just pack em & rack em into our basement storage area which stays at about 55 degrees. How long can you store eggs for anyway?
Lori

i don not wash...if i'm hard boiling & they have poo of them, i will rinse before cooking

washing will effect shelf life & if you don't refrigerate, i sometimes do & sometimes don't, it's not a good idea to wash & until ready to use

I don't wash any eggs unless necessary. We store on a counter (we get about 3+ dozen a day). We sell as many of our eggs as possible. If I start to get backed up, then I put them in the refrigerator. We do wash the dirty eggs with warm water and I make sure those are used up first or refrigerated immediately.

Eggs are porous and once you wash away the bloom, anything else you coat them with could be absorbed.

Last edited:
I just discovered a Roto-Egg Washer in Dad's barn. It's cool so I thought I'd try it on my eggs. So what do y'all suggest I would use as detergent and how much?
Thanx

Does just rinsing with water also wash off the bloom? I rinse mine off all the time because all the time the hens get their muddy, poopy feet all over them. I also refridgerate, but that's mostly because they are fertalized and I don't want the embryos to start developing before I crack them open into my pancake batter!
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
D.gif
Yes any kind of rinsing will do it. I never wash my eggs, I have a fridge in my barn and some go straight in their and some come in the house with me and sit on the counter. And all of my eggs are fertile too. If it has rained and they are just dirty I boil them and feed them to the chickens and dogs. I figure for $2.00 a dozen they can wash their own eggs, but I tell all my customers I dont wash them.

Back
Top Bottom