To whatever ate my chicken

michelle89

Songster
12 Years
Jan 11, 2011
I hope it tasted good!!! I am soooo sad, mad, frustrated you name it!! Nothing left but feathers, so I'm thinking a bird of some sort. I know its inevitable that it would happen, thats what you get for free ranging your birds on 2 1/2 acres but it doesn't make it any easier. It was one of my favorite chickens a Buff Orpington, she was so friendly and layed the prettiest eggs. Now I'm down to three chickens and one duck.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss. I wish it wasn't a bird of prey since there is nothing that can be done other than trying to prevent another attack. I free range on 1 acre and am bracing myself for the day that I find a dead chicken. I put up fishing line,but that was in the far back and I know it only slows them down anyway.

thats what you get for free ranging your birds on 2 1/2 acres

No. It's not what you get if you free range with safety measures in place. Do you have "hides" and cover for your chickens to run to in times of danger from above? Do you have a good roo that sounds an alarm? Do you have guardian dogs that patrol your acreage? Do you have flighty chickens who are attuned to danger and run when it approaches or do you have fat and complacent birds who have been desensitized by excessive handling? Do you have small breeds that are easily carried off by a hawk? If so, replace those with heavy, standard breeds.

All of these things can help you have a positive free ranging experience as opposed to "that's what you get". I have 2 pair of red tails living right next to me, pair of osprey, and, in the past few years, a beautiful bald eagle as well....I've never lost a bird to hawk/eagle predation in all the years I've free ranged.​

Back
Top Bottom