To Worm or Not? And, Piperazine dosage for bantams?

Whoa! I started reading this thread and after several pages, I have questions! I'm quite confused and hope someone, Threehorses. or someone can straighten me out. There was just so much info and some people have different ideas and in between, I ended up lost. Rather than go back and try to sift through the advice, would you please just give me some simple directions and answers? I find the material on this thread to be very valuable but only if I understand it! I'm sorry to drag this all back up but I'm hoping someone will be nice enough to go over this with me. I will be extremely appreciative!

1. I've had chickens on and off for 30 years. Have never wormed a chicken. Have never seen a worm anywhere around the coop or pen, on roost or in straw, in poop or on ground and certainly not around a chicken's butt. I've never lost a chicken from illness or had a a sick chicken yet (O please don't let me get jinxed now!) For instance, I keep my dog on a flea med that also kills some types of worms. Then he takes a pill (to kill) heart-worms that I heard kills remaining worms. I believe this has the ivermectin. He gets a fecal exam once a yr. It's always clean. He's 11 yrs. old and I find it silly that I have to test him every year when the meds he is given have always wiped out any type of worms. My question: Do I need to worm my 5-month old bantam flock even though there is no sign of parasites, and all are healthy good-looking flock with no history of any worm infestation? I keep coop clean and pen is raked out once a week. I put apple cider vinegar in their water twice a week, with a Poultry drench added 2 of the remaining days. Throughout the week they get yogurt, fresh apples, spinach, pumpkin puree, lettuce, warm oatmeal on cold mornings and mashed eggs along with the shells crushed in as a sort of treat. They free-range my 1 acre yard several hours every day, unless raining. I spend enough time with them that I would spot a sick bird or one getting skinny or puny.

2. I had never heard that chickens should not be allowed to dig in compost piles or eat earthworms until this thread. I actually thought any bug or insect they found was added protein - not a problematic parasite-inducing creature! Up in the Mid-Atlantic states, there just aren't any insects left alive after a few cold mornings. If the chickens don't eat grubs or earthworms, their live diets just fell to 0%! Yes I do buy meal worms but they're expensive and at $10 for 200 live, it does not go far with a flock of 20. That comes out to 10 each in a fair world! The meal worms are gone before I can sneak away! My work in my vegetable garden is a constant progressive endeavor. The chickens love to come around and dig for the earthworms while I'm hoeing and mixing in the straw from their coop. Is this bad for them? Should earthworms and any other under-ground bugs be off limits? Should I keep them out of the compost pile? I read dozens of books about the correlation between gardening and keeping chickens and never saw anything that said digging in compost (comprised mostly of straw, chicken droppings, plant material, weeds, flowers and dirt) is bad for them.

3. I have Wazine on hand. I read on here that it should be used first mixed in their drinking water. Follow-up in 14 days with another dose or try the pour-on ivermectin using a certain size syringe applied as drops to the bare skin at the back of the neck or shoulder. Right? But that does not kill tape worms - which chickens that eat earthworms, from wet soil and compost piles commonly contract. From what I've gleaned, there's no safe way to get rid of the tape worm. Right? Or is there a safe tape-worm med that is not dangerous, not sold over in UK, but available here that will safely rid chickens of this problematic type of worm? Has anyone on here used it? Has anyone seen tape-worm in their chickens? Were you successful in eliminating it? Did your chickens recover alright?

4. Can chickens have several types of worms at the same time? If not treated, will these worms individually kill chickens? Is tape-worm potentially fatal? Can I feed the eggs from chickens wormed with either Wazine or Ivermectin back to the flock as boiled and mashed up eggs? I know humans should not consume these eggs. My flock should start laying around Thanksgiving. If I worm them now, will it put off the timing or affect new pullets just starting to lay? And would everyone please tell me how they feel about worming, for worming sake (since my flock shows no signs of having worms)? Sorry this is so long. I am a newbie at this part of chicken keeping! I am constantly learning and trying hard to be a responsible and good owner. Thanks so much!

I realize this thread is old, and Threehorses, the one with the most knowledge hasn't participated for a while, but I have the same question as an earlier poster. Two weeks ago, I treated my hens with Wazine after finding live roundworms in the poo and reading this thread. I also have a wheezy hen who squeaks a lot, making me think she has some respiratory issue associated with worms as well, though she is the only one of the 9 hens I have with this symptom. The two leghorns I have, however, have had pretty manky-looking combs as well, though it's been pretty cold here for a couple of weeks, and a rub with Vaseline has made them look a little better. Anyhow, two days ago, I treated them with Ivermectin (pour-on; 0.5 mL for the larger hens and 0.25 mL for the smaller hens). The problem is that I was not able to find a traditional syringe and used a rather broad opening medicine dropper to dispense the Ivermectin. For some of the girls, it seemed to go onto their skin, but for others, quite a bit was absorbed onto their feathers. The questions is, will that stuff that went on the down close to their skin ever end up in their system, or was is just like dipping fingernails in something? The other question is that since it is likely they didn't get the full dose, should I reapply at some point. There has been a huge range of info about Ivermectin on this thread and others where there is no clear consensus about dosing in that some people are convinced that it is incredibly toxic and killed their birds, while others insist that it is very difficult to overdose your bird on this chemical. Also, some say Ivermectin does not rid birds of roundworm (despite contrary information on the packaging). Finally, when all was said and done, I looked at the bottle I just got from the feed store and discovered it expired three months ago (grr). I'm assuming this is not a big deal, but it makes me wonder even more if the efficacy could be reduced from using older stuff. Anyhow, it's a couple of days later after the dosing, and I haven't seen roundworms in the poo since the Wazine over two weeks ago. Just want to make sure my girls are okay. Other relevant info: they are mostly in a run, though they do free range some of the time. When I found the worms, I dug out the thawed layer of dirt in the run and spread DE everywhere (more to make myself feel better than because I think it will do anything). Anyhow, my point (finally) is that I would really like to know if I should reapply the Ivermectin. Thanks.

Resurrecting this thread... I read thru the first couple pages but I have a question still.

I have large fowl and was going to just try the wazine. Not sure I have a problem yet. If I am going to do a complete worm on my birds I will need to follow the wazine up with ivermectin, right? Can I do the wazine one day and ivermectin the next or do I need to wait and how long? Is 6 weeks too young as I have some babies I was going to start transitioning to the big coop?

Resurrecting this thread... I read thru the first couple pages but I have a question still.

I have large fowl and was going to just try the wazine. Not sure I have a problem yet. If I am going to do a complete worm on my birds I will need to follow the wazine up with ivermectin, right? Can I do the wazine one day and ivermectin the next or do I need to wait and how long? Is 6 weeks too young as I have some babies I was going to start transitioning to the big coop?

If you don't have a problem with worms then don't worm IMO.

Wormers are very hard on chickens.

Don't worm under 18 weeks of age from what I have read on BYC due to organs still developing.

I do worm a couple times a year since I have had a worm problem on my soil here. Unfortunately I had brought in worms from some purchased adult chickens.

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a small fee, but false negatives are possible.

Last edited:
Toss the eggs..or what do you think about feeding them back to the chicken, cooked....or, can a dog eat them cooked? hmmm????

Toss the eggs..or what do you think about feeding them back to the chicken, cooked....or, can a dog eat them cooked? hmmm????
There is residue in the eggs. Feeding them back to chickens will build worm resistance to the wormer the next time it's used, not to mention possibly extending the withdrawal period. Feed the eggs to your dog. Consult a vet first especially if they're small dogs.

Worm with the wazine first then follow up with ivermectin 2 weeks later. This gives any eggs/larva time to hatch and kill them before they start the next cycle. Wormers don't kill the eggs/larva so when you treat them the first time, you are killing only the adults. And yes, 6 weeks is too young to worm. Wait until they are 4 months.

How long do you toss eggs? 2 Weeks after treatment? I did move my chicks to the big coop but they are penned and fed/watered separate. The big ones I am planning on treating with wazine in Feb as I am waiting for some of the big ones to hit the 18 week mark.

There is residue in the eggs. Feeding them back to chickens will build worm resistance to the wormer the next time it's used, not to mention possibly extending the withdrawal period. Feed the eggs to your dog. Consult a vet first especially if they're small dogs.

Ahh, makes sense...one of those, right in my face sense..thank you for replying back dawg..I always read your posts about any medication when I am needing info. You are well read. Thanks again.

How long do you toss eggs? 2 Weeks after treatment? I did move my chicks to the big coop but they are penned and fed/watered separate. The big ones I am planning on treating with wazine in Feb as I am waiting for some of the big ones to hit the 18 week mark.
There's a 14 day slaughter withdrawal period after using wazine. If the chicken is good to eat after 14 days, so are the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom