Toad Raising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Around how many months do you CX begin to lay eggs or how long do roosters begin to successfully mate?
feed them 2x a day all they can eat in 10 minutes... make sure they have water and grit.. and they have a big yard they can look for food in.. the exercise make the difference.
I had mine in with layer chicks the same age and that helped them roam around

Around how many months do you CX begin to lay eggs or how long do roosters begin to successfully mate?
I bought my CX pullets March 30th and had eggs in the middle of sept. she laid through oct. Never started laying again before she got water belly and died a few days before a year old. I didn't have any cx roos.... store said the sold only pullets and out of 4 breeds I got they were the only ones that was all female.
The cx mix males start mating successfully at 16 wks, I processed a 15 wk cockerel today that wasn't breeder material. 6.5 lbs dressed... also did a 16 wk heritage mix/barred rock cockerel, 3.4 lbs dressed

I bought my CX pullets March 30th and had eggs in the middle of sept. she laid through oct. Never started laying again before she got water belly and died a few days before a year old. I didn't have any cx roos.... store said the sold only pullets and out of 4 breeds I got they were the only ones that was all female.
The cx mix males start mating successfully at 16 wks, I processed a 15 wk cockerel today that wasn't breeder material. 6.5 lbs dressed... also did a 16 wk heritage mix/barred rock cockerel, 3.4 lbs dressed
Was the 6.5 male a cx?

Ralph,
Long time no chat sadly I got a bad batch of Cx from the Hatchery I went through this last Spring so we couldn't start our Toad project this year. None lived to even reach a month old and as I had ordered the Dixies (well Colored Rangers) at the same time I just kept them and butchered them as needed. This year I have already acquired several different "heavy breeds" (WR,BR,BO,RIR,DE,Buckeye) chicks back in Sept and as all are doing good my plan is to order Cx again (this time from the hatchery I had gotten these healthy chicks from) in March '19 so that by April Fools they will be out forging with other aged layer chicks who will show them how to and will start the Toad project then. I am going to do it in three different style breeding circles 1.) Is going to be started Toad 1 (recipe from you CxRXCxH 2.) is going to be CxRXHBH and 3.) is going to be HBRXCxH) these will then be used as a normal cross over breedings so I will be breeding the offspring of these breeding back to hopefully by stage 4 of product will have all Toads. Will take detailed notes and would welcome any input from you or your group up there in Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom