Toenail clipping

Catalina

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Minnesota
Has anyone clipped their chicks toenails?
My babies are 4 weeks old and they like to sit on my arms when I pet them, but their nails are really, really sharp! Are there other ways to wear their toenails down?

I think if you clip them they will be worse unless you file them too
roll.png

What a life these chickens have
jumpy.gif

Are they outside yet? When they move outside their nails will get filed down naturally by the ground.

I bought my 1 year old rooster from a man who kept him in a shed his whole life. When I brought him home I noticed his nails were so long they were bending to the side. I mean they we about an inch long!!! I was afraid to clip them so I let them go. They naturally filed down just from walking outside in about 4 weeks.

Yeah, let them scratch in dirt and their nails will shorten up. Clipping can be done with dog nail clippers but they can bleed very easily. If you chose to cut, make sure you have flower, corn starch, or quck stop to stop any bleeding that can occur.

I clipped my peep's toenails for the same reason when they were little & in the brooder. It's like clipping dog or cat nails. Make sure you have a bright light source and hold the claw up to the light. You can see where the light quits shining through the nail. DO NOT CLIP past that point or they will bleed. I just took the sharp tips off each claw, myself, and didn't file. After a day the scritchy parts had rubbed away and the claws were blunt. And the peeps were pain-free to play with again.

Hint: They don't like this any more than they do having their wings clipped. And you have to be careful to hold them still without hurting them. Squished peeps are no fun at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas!

I let them out side for the first time yesterday(they loved it!!) and I can already see a difference in their toe nails.
They scratched a lot on rocks and the sidewalk. Yay!

I also put my water bottle on a flat half-cinderblock in the brooder. I think that helped, without even really meaning to do it. I read on here somewhere that someone used 4 pavers and centered the adult chickens' water on it to keep nails short, so I need to get more blocks!

trish

Mine are thirteen weeks old. I clipped their toe nails the first time today. All six of them. I was afraid to cut too much off because I was afraid it would bleed. I am treating them for leg mites anyway so I have been washing their feet and applying vaseline. I noticed their claws were getting really long. Scary! :eek: I figured if I just cut off a little bit each time then I will not have a problem with bleeding.

Back
Top Bottom