1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toenail clipping

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Catalina, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Has anyone clipped their chicks toenails?
    My babies are 4 weeks old and they like to sit on my arms when I pet them, but their nails are really, really sharp! Are there other ways to wear their toenails down?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think if you clip them they will be worse unless you file them too [​IMG]
    What a life these chickens have [​IMG]

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Are they outside yet? When they move outside their nails will get filed down naturally by the ground.

I bought my 1 year old rooster from a man who kept him in a shed his whole life. When I brought him home I noticed his nails were so long they were bending to the side. I mean they we about an inch long!!! I was afraid to clip them so I let them go. They naturally filed down just from walking outside in about 4 weeks.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, let them scratch in dirt and their nails will shorten up. Clipping can be done with dog nail clippers but they can bleed very easily. If you chose to cut, make sure you have flower, corn starch, or quck stop to stop any bleeding that can occur.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I clipped my peep's toenails for the same reason when they were little & in the brooder. It's like clipping dog or cat nails. Make sure you have a bright light source and hold the claw up to the light. You can see where the light quits shining through the nail. DO NOT CLIP past that point or they will bleed. I just took the sharp tips off each claw, myself, and didn't file. After a day the scritchy parts had rubbed away and the claws were blunt. And the peeps were pain-free to play with again.

Hint: They don't like this any more than they do having their wings clipped. And you have to be careful to hold them still without hurting them. Squished peeps are no fun at all.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  6. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Thanks for all the ideas!

I let them out side for the first time yesterday(they loved it!!) and I can already see a difference in their toe nails.
    They scratched a lot on rocks and the sidewalk. Yay!

7. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I also put my water bottle on a flat half-cinderblock in the brooder. I think that helped, without even really meaning to do it. I read on here somewhere that someone used 4 pavers and centered the adult chickens' water on it to keep nails short, so I need to get more blocks!

trish

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    We have our waterer on plain ole brick, does the trick, they even sharpen their beaks that way too.

9. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Our waters' are on cement blocks. Main reason was to elevate but it did help with the nails. Not to mention just being outside helped a ton.

10. Hiedi

Hiedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Upstate SC
    Mine are thirteen weeks old. I clipped their toe nails the first time today. All six of them. I was afraid to cut too much off because I was afraid it would bleed. I am treating them for leg mites anyway so I have been washing their feet and applying vaseline. I noticed their claws were getting really long. Scary! :eek: I figured if I just cut off a little bit each time then I will not have a problem with bleeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by