Toes curling sideways is this a disease maybe, or possible genetic?

can you hear me now?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Southwest Missouri
Hi all any advice would be appreciated. Maybe be able to get pictures tomorrow.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. White rose comb, not sure hut know it isn't a WL. Unknown age, about 6 lbs
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Toes are curling to the side.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Not sure if they had it when I got them. Was dark out.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Have three white o.es and two of them have it
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Producers pride layer pellets
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal poo
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet, not sure if is emergency or not.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Should I separate and cull
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Sorry don't have
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use wooden large house straw bedding

Shouldn't it be included in the feed or will I have to get an outside source? Either way they will probably go in the freezer but I want to make sure before we do take em and process, that they are also.safe to eat. Or at least so I feel better about doing so.

How curled are they? Is it the entire toe or just the end with the nail on it? Some roosters' outer nail crooks a tad sideways, I believe it's called "buckle toe". Can be from walking on wire sometimes or from nails being too long and forcing the toe to the side, though that is relevant to your case, I don't believe.

Crooked toes can be genetic or an incubation issue. If genetic, that bird should not be reproduced.

Back
Top Bottom