Toes curling sideways is this a disease maybe, or possible genetic?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by can you hear me now?, Nov 2, 2010.

1. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Hi all any advice would be appreciated. Maybe be able to get pictures tomorrow.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. White rose comb, not sure hut know it isn't a WL. Unknown age, about 6 lbs
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Toes are curling to the side.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Not sure if they had it when I got them. Was dark out.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Have three white o.es and two of them have it
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Producers pride layer pellets
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal poo
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet, not sure if is emergency or not.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Should I separate and cull
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Sorry don't have
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use wooden large house straw bedding

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    it could be genetic or need vitamin B 2.

3. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Shouldn't it be included in the feed or will I have to get an outside source? Either way they will probably go in the freezer but I want to make sure before we do take em and process, that they are also.safe to eat. Or at least so I feel better about doing so.

4. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    some time it not enough vitamin in the feed . was it born with bad feet or got bad over time in youth age?

5. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:Not sure they were given to me. Didn't notice that till I posted. That day at least.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

How curled are they? Is it the entire toe or just the end with the nail on it? Some roosters' outer nail crooks a tad sideways, I believe it's called "buckle toe". Can be from walking on wire sometimes or from nails being too long and forcing the toe to the side, though that is relevant to your case, I don't believe.

Crooked toes can be genetic or an incubation issue. If genetic, that bird should not be reproduced.

7. can you hear me now?

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:agreed, I don't think they are laying currently. Thinking either they are too old or it is molting time. Guess time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by