Tolbunt Polish

Hey any guesses on the sex of this polish? It really has me stumped. It is seven weeks old it has been pretty slow at getting its feathers. It's head puff is like a Mohawk.

Sorry but pretty sure that's a boy
I hatched one of each. My girl got her feathers way faster than the boy & girl had fan proof boy had Mohawk

Oh yeah I see what you mean. This one is definitely a Mohawk. I had one chick who I thought was a girl because of the fan like puff, but turned out to be a boy. I was really hoping for a girl cause i have one Tolbunt and one gold laced rooster. Oh well.

I'm sorry but the idea that you can sex a Polish that young based on the behavioral growth/shape of its crest just isn't very reliable. I'd say wait. All I can see from that crest is that it is unusually small for a Polish, not much more. Give it a bit longer before you start thinking boy. The redness at the base of its cavernous nostril bridge is a bit more reliable to look at right now than the crest shape or growth rate. It might be a boy, might not, but really I'd wait if I were you before making the final decision on gender.

Last edited:
Yeah I know it is too early to tell. I will most likely keep this chick regardless of if its a rooster or not. He is the only one of four chicks that hatch that has survived. His crest is small but he didnt have a vault either so maybe that's why. I do see a little redness at the base of his beak too.

Hey any guesses on the sex of this polish? It really has me stumped. It is seven weeks old it has been pretty slow at getting its feathers. It's head puff is like a Mohawk.

My males have all had mohawks also.

My boys born in April are crowing, my boys born anywhere from July onward haven't begun yet. The April boys just began about three weeks ago. It does vary, though.

Back
Top Bottom