Tolbunt Polish

Pics
THanks. They are growing so fast. I had a scare this weekend though. One started walking on his hocks and falling to the right side when he tried to walk. I thought maybe he hit his head and I would watch him. The next day another started. I started giving them liquid vitamins and crushed B complex on their food. By the next morning the second one had recovered to the point I no longer knew which one it was. The first one is taking longer but is better each day. Today his foot uncurled finally. What a scare. I am feeding medicated chick starter and wasn't aware this could happen.

It's gonna look rather funny as they get bigger....trying to fit in that pot.
sharon

I thank God that it had a good outcome. I'd be scared too. I'm really not into using medicated feed. I don't know why, just never did.

Quote:

I will try to get better pictures of the nositrils today, and other body parts. I would love some feedback as I am still learning myself what to aim for with my polish. I have read the standard and have been reading huge books on chicken genetics, but I am always open to feedback :) I do want to improve my flock over time.

sad.png
I looked at my 5 week olds and their nostrils look all the same.

They should. If they all look the same that's a good thing. My mention of different ones is actually a bad trait, one that should never be seen in Polish, but so happens to be in a couple Tolbunts like my smooth boy, and for some reason is somehow sex-linked, so, I always get males with his bad nostrils, females with the proper cavernous nostril.

I am ready for some smooth tolbunt too. Of the 8 chicks from Greenfire it seems 4 are smooth and 4 frizzled. I now have a pair of frizzled.

Do you by chance know who Greenfire got their Tolbunts from? I know they added in gold lace to improve them..... but I'm trying to decide if I should get a few from them. Right now I've got Jim Parker & Green Acre (Tolbunt 1\2 of my GL splits) lines- and if the ones in the bater hatch out well will have more Green Acre splits & Tolbunts from Bare Necessities, Creekside, and Parker line mixed together- and GL split to Bare Nec line.

If they are related to the ones I have already- I'll wait to get some from them.

Ok I heard back from Greenfire today- they said they have the same lines I do (maybe they meant the ones I have in the bator too) BUT- they said they are importing a trio in this fall from Europe if I want more new blood. Thought I'd share- I'm happy to hear this!! Looks like next year I will get some from them (or this fall if they have eggs hatching out of this trio!!)

Ok I heard back from Greenfire today- they said they have the same lines I do (maybe they meant the ones I have in the bator too) BUT- they said they are importing a trio in this fall from Europe if I want more new blood. Thought I'd share- I'm happy to hear this!! Looks like next year I will get some from them (or this fall if they have eggs hatching out of this trio!!)

Good to know!

Here are a few more pictures. This is the same chick I posted a picture of in my last post, plus one of its hatch mates. Do these show the nostrils better? I did some reading on the genetics behind polish having cavernous nostrils and apparently it is the crest and v comb which cause the nostrils to become flattened, wide and cavernous. So maybe breeding for better comb type and crest size/shape will improve the appearance of the nostrils? The chick with the solid white crest is the one from the previous photo....I think....

My non-cavernous birds still have crests and a V comb (although butterfly type) so I'm sure it isn't fully that which makes the case.

Those two both look cavernous, so, sexing is indeterminate at this age. I personally never judge by crest shape or size but some people do. Only way to know for sure is to let it mature.

My non-cavernous birds still have crests and a V comb (although butterfly type) so I'm sure it isn't fully that which makes the case.

Those two both look cavernous, so, sexing is indeterminate at this age. I personally never judge by crest shape or size but some people do. Only way to know for sure is to let it mature.

Oh, I am sure that there is more involved genetically than just the crest and comb size/shape. I just read some articles on the subject that suggested these traits are at least part of what gives crested breeds cavernous nostrils not seen in other breeds. As for sexing chicks....I have never had any luck with any of the methods people use for little chicks :) I always just wait until they grow up and feather out. I was just hoping for some opinions on these little guy's nostrils so that I can learn as I go along. Thanks for your input :)

Back
Top Bottom