Tolbunt Polish

Pics
Just a quick question. I got a Tolbunt Polish chick recently that is a month old. It is all black with a white hood and a bit of white on the wings. Should I expect this chick to remain this color?? The chick came from greenfire farms.

Are you sure its a Tolbunt? And not just a bcw? Tolbunts are not black...they have some black within each feather but certainly not as a main color...

Here is a pic of the one i am referring too. It was hatched from an egg which was bought from Greenfire Farms and was sold as a tolbunt polish.

2mzw0mb.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures welasharon!

What happened to the one without a crest? Was it just born without a hat? LOL.

What do you plan on doing with that little one?

It was just born that way. He was the only one without the little yellow puff on his head. I have someone already lined up to adopt him! How can you not love that ugly little mug. When you see that you realize its a good thing polish have top-knots! LOL

If that happens again you'd probably best introduce some birds with bigger crests and cull any small crested ones. Neat lookin though! Reminds me of Breda Fowl with that head. I gotta feeling this is gonna be a one time fluke though.

As for the black and white chick, no, that's not a Tolbunt and I gotta say it isn't too rare that someone comes across such. I've seen brown/red and white colored ones with little to no black, too. I think a big part of these colors coming around are from the cross-breeding to GL Polish. Because a lot of GL out there if not all used with Tolbunts are hatchery stock, and because many people are following the old standard, there's a lot of not so well laced GL (gold laced) being used, and thus, the lacing quality drops over time to the point where you get too little or too much black.

That or someone's outcrossing to non-laced birds which is another possibility. I am, but I'm aware the black/whites are just mottled.

You can spot this (non-tolbunt or not close enough) ahead of time by inspecting the chicks as day to week olds. A normal Tolbunt will be the typical brown/white coloration, but one with no brown and just black/white you should avoid. One with much too light and mono-tone of brown with no dark brown or black shading you should also avoid. (By avoid, I mean in terms of using as a Tolbunt for breeding) A Tolbunt chick will have more than one shade of brown, about half of it being a very dark brown. Really, it's like looking at a Gold Laced chick, and just adding in the white.

I'm trying to find the answer to this, so I thought I would try here.

The US Polish Club has a Standard for Tolbunt Polish posted on their web site. People are telling me it is incorrect. I did some research and found this:
The description was copied from the German Tolbunt website. The birds here have been imported from Germany (other than the ones that are being "made" here from odds and ends).

Why is the German Standard incorrect?

Walt

Well, apologies if I'd use incorrect as the word, but, at least from what I've been told, it is not what we're going by anymore. At least, it isn't what I am going by at the moment. Not sure why, just my opinion based on observations, but I'd imagine it is because no one seems to have birds close to it, and everyone is going by what they've been for a while - lacing.

When I first got into Tolbunts I saw the standard and noticed no US breeders/stock had the black blobs (versus lacing) and asked the breeder of which I got my birds about it, and if my arriving stock would follow the standard. I was told it would (it didn't) and that they are indeed breeding by it. After that I've been told otherwise, which makes sense personally, so, I at least go with the lacing standard. Which, I know, isn't online and available, but is pretty straight-forward.

Back
Top Bottom