Tomorrow is the big day

Thanks!
I liked the soda bottle better. The bags worked great, but they weren't tailor size, so there was some flapping. I didn't want to invest in metal cones and I had the bags laying around anyway.

I just cut up 2 of the chickens.

This is a first for me also. I've cut thighs from legs before but never a whole chicken. I totally nailed it! :celebrate

I followed the pictures in the book "Butchering" by Adam Danforth.

Attachments

• IMG_2699.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2662.JPG
    IMG_2662.JPG
    321.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2663.JPG
    IMG_2663.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    389.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2674.JPG
    IMG_2674.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2677.JPG
    IMG_2677.JPG
    299.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2684.JPG
    IMG_2684.JPG
    330.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2687.JPG
    IMG_2687.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2692.JPG
    IMG_2692.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 7
I'm going to be investing in that book! I'm hoping to have 2 of my Roos ready by the 1st of July. Did the 'throat cutting' method work well? Great idea using a soda bottle! I never would have thought of that!

Thanks!
I liked the soda bottle better. The bags worked great, but they weren't tailor size, so there was some flapping. I didn't want to invest in metal cones and I had the bags laying around anyway.

I just cut up 2 of the chickens.

This is a first for me also. I've cut thighs from legs before but never a whole chicken. I totally nailed it! :celebrate

I followed the pictures in the book "Butchering" by Adam Danforth.

Thanks! :)

Just remember the 2 liter soda bottle fit perfect for a little bantam. Maybe a 3 liter would work for a regular sized rooster??? but definitely not for a Cornish X. Than again I let mine go too long. Most of them were still running around so I thought it was too soon.

The throat cutting was by far the worse part. Unfortunately I accidently cut the wind pipe on just a few. I put my blade in the right spot, but I couldn't help but close my eyes when it came to the poke and slash part. Make sure you gently pull down on the heads and keep your blade ( I used a utility knife) at least and inch from your hand. I cut at a slight upward slash. I thanked each and every bird for fulfilling its destiny, and told it to fly to the rainbow bridge.

After that, the rest was pretty easy, well easier. I sure didn't do it perfectly, that's for sure , but in the end it looks and taste like chicken :)

PennyM it's not as bad as one builds up in your mind.... I like to do 12 at a time. But I have done it for years and use a plucker. It takes longer to set it all up and clean up afterwards than actually working the birds. While it is never something you look forward to, it does get easier after the first time. The unknown is always the hard part. You'll find things that work best for you as well as changes to make it all go faster every time.... I find "Spatchcocking" the bird as a means of evisceration is simpler for me. Less of the "icky" factor if you will. A good pair of poultry shears is handy... But I like my chicken spatchcocked for the grill anyway. But you can always break it down into pieces from there as well...

I'm sure you did a great job! I gotta be honest, the throat cutting part is what I dread the most.:oops: I just dont want them to suffer. I want it to be done as quickly as possible. I think my hubby might help me with that part. Boy those chickens sure look yummy! Congrats to your first slaughter! It looks like you did a great job!:thumbsup
Thanks! :)

Just remember the 2 liter soda bottle fit perfect for a little bantam. Maybe a 3 liter would work for a regular sized rooster??? but definitely not for a Cornish X. Than again I let mine go too long. Most of them were still running around so I thought it was too soon.

The throat cutting was by far the worse part. Unfortunately I accidently cut the wind pipe on just a few. I put my blade in the right spot, but I couldn't help but close my eyes when it came to the poke and slash part. Make sure you gently pull down on the heads and keep your blade ( I used a utility knife) at least and inch from your hand. I cut at a slight upward slash. I thanked each and every bird for fulfilling its destiny, and told it to fly to the rainbow bridge.

After that, the rest was pretty easy, well easier. I sure didn't do it perfectly, that's for sure , but in the end it looks and taste like chicken :)

Back
Top Bottom