Too big for the booder but not ready for the coop

JaxnCam

Hatching
6 Years
May 7, 2013
East Bay, Ca
Hello everyone. First time poster here. So thanks in advance for the help!
I have 8 chicks that range in age from 7 weeks to 4 weeks. My biggest girl is just about fully feathered (or so it appears to this first timer.) My problem is that they are getting a little bit bored and tight in their brooder box, which is a cardboard back yard brooder that was provided by their breeder. I get them out into supervised yard time as much as possible, weather permitting-today its going on 4 hours. I know that my littlest isn't ready for the coop for a few weeks yet...but by then Ariel (the big girl) will be too ready for bigger spaces. So my question is. What do I do in the meantime...until everyone is ready for the coop? Do I buy a bigger brooder?? Can I put them into the coop from sun-up to sun-down and then just into the brooder for bed? I don't know if they (or I for that matter) can handle the brooder for 4 more weeks!

You'll need to do something, that's for sure. Many people wire a heat bulb in the coop (securely fixed) with an extension cord to keep the heat on the smallest ones. That only works if they're the only birds inside, since the adults can be jerks. You can definitely use the coop if there is a heat source to compensate for the weather, if they're the only chickens you have. Or if you have a way to section off a place away from bigger birds.

I have a mid-size hutch for growing them out. When you hear "grow out pen" that is for that age group who are too big for the brooder, and too small for the coop. I have about 3 brooders total, one for the first 2 weeks (95qt tote), another for 2-7 weeks (3x3 ft), and beyond that, weather permitting, they go to the hutch (8x3ft).

Growing pains already!

How cold does it get at night in your neck of the woods? If it were me I'd do one of two things, both to eliminate the potential overcrowding issue...
1) I'd move them all out to the coop---with eight they should be able to keep each other warm at night. Can you safely rig up your heatlamp or infared heater in the coop for extra warmth for another couple of weeks? That would make the decision easy.

2) Move the older chicks out, then in 2-3 weeks move the rest of them. There might be some scuffling as they re-arrange their pecking order, but they are similar enough in age (and size I'm assuming) that I'd think it wouldn't take long at all to re-establish themselves.

The third possibility would be to enlarge your current brooder or rig something up to buy you a couple more weeks. This year I've run into the same thing, first time I've raised so many (21) and I had the same 'problem.' My 4'x4' brooder was too small by about 4 weeks, so I made up an addition that was 2'x3' which gave me another 2 weeks. By 6 1/2 weeks or so they were once again cramped, but mostly feathered with some fuzz remaining. Mine are all the same age so it was an all or nothing decision--at about 6 1/2 weeks I moved them to the grow-out coop inside an 8'x12' kennel where they are happy campers....but they keep growing!!!

Good luck!

I'd just put them in the coop. At 4 weeks they are well feathered and California isn't cold. Looking at the weather forecast for East Bay your lows are in the mid 50's, that's completely fine for 4 weeks old. If your still using a heat source you could stop that for a few days to help acclimate them to normal temps before putting them out.

I personally think 4-6 weeks is too young to be moved out even if the night time temps arn't too low. A growout box doesn't have to be anything fancy. I use an old wood box on the porch outside and then they are still under the heat lamp at night. Not sure if you have other chickens in the area you are talking about moving them too, but if you do, you def cannot put them out there. The baby chick stage is awesome, the grown up stage is awesome.....it's the in between adolescent stage that is the pits....kinda like real kids
tongue.png

I move my chicks outside about 3.5-4 weeks old and there now just abit over 5 weeks old now and there good at nights and I don't use a heat lamps. But I have 27 of them so more heat is given by body temp.

Along these same lines, what about moving chicks to their coop in a very warm climate (Tampa area, Florida)? I only have 4 girls, but the overnight temperature isn't getting below 70/75 anymore. What age would be safe?

I take mine out during the day and back into the brooder at night. The best of both worlds for a little while. It gets to be a chore once the bunch outgrows the tote box, though!! LOL

Thank you for the quick responses!
Yes, the weather in the bay area is very mild (considering). The overnight low is 57-ish and today's high is 66. So not a huge shift in temps. They do fine outside in a make shift playpen so I'll assume they'd do fine in the coop once the construction has been finished. I really don't plan on brooding any more chicks anytime soon, I think these 8 will keep me plenty busy and entertained so I would really rather not have to upgrade their brooder. I will start trialing them in their coop for the days and watch how many are actively seeking the heat lamp and make my decision from there!

Back
Top Bottom