Too Cold for Molting?

LiterallyLucy

Hatching
Dec 1, 2016
We have 5 barred rock hens, 9 months old in central Indiana. One, who has always been the runt, has started molting this week. We're guessing it's a forced molt from the others bullying her away from the food combined with the short days. Will she be okay, or do we need to bring her in? We had planned on not doing supplemental heat, so I'm afraid she'll be too cold while her feathers grow in. I'm also concerned that bringing her in to stay warm will make her not cold hardy, and get her bullied even worse when she rejoins the group. Does anyone have advice?

Thanks in advance.

I still have some that are still molting yet. They will be fine. You might need to add multiple feeding stations or find a place for your bottom bird to hang out without being harassed. Things to get up on, under, or even in. My bottom birds hide in a feed trough and others get on top of a pen.

Don't bring her in unless you plan to do it all winter, which I wouldn't do. You could try giving some high protein treats to help her grow her feathers faster.

Welcome to BYC!

Had a 9 month old molt one winter...she was fine, and she was not low in the pecking order.

Look at your coop space for possible crowding stress......
Also, your feeding regime for good nutrition balance,
especially protein levels as they are easy to dilute.

Back
Top Bottom