Too cold for young chickens???

JennRVA

Hatching
Sep 20, 2017
I have 3 young hens, about 3 months old. Its starting to get cold, sometimes in the high 30's at night. Do I need to do anything special? I have lots of hay in the coop. These are my 1st chickens. The man who sold me the chicks said they were hearty and should be fine but I'm nervous. Any advice?

You usually don't need to provide any heat after nine weeks of age, so long as the weather is above ten degrees farenheit at night, and they're standard chickens (not bantams such as seramas or sebrights.) Make sure they have an enclosed space with ventilation, but no drafts. A vent is good. A vent opposite another vent or facing the wind is bad.

Chickens are little balls of fluff. They're not quite as cold-hardy as ducks, but they are constantly wearing coats.

I have 3 young hens, about 3 months old. Its starting to get cold, sometimes in the high 30's at night. Do I need to do anything special? I have lots of hay in the coop. These are my 1st chickens. The man who sold me the chicks said they were hearty and should be fine but I'm nervous. Any advice?
Welcome to BYC!
Need more info to give good advice.
How long have you had the chicks?
What is your coop like?
Pics would really help here.
As long as the coop keeps them dry and out of the wind, they should be fine.
Good ventilation in coop is important too, it can be a delicate balance between enough ventilation and not too much air movement.

Back
Top Bottom