too cold in garage?

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi - I have three babies - 5.5 weeks old. They have been in my garage since Tuesday but last night got into the low 50s last night. Today one of them seems a little puffed up (sometimes they try to freak me out by doing that but they are just sleepy) so I am keeping an eye on her but I am wondering if that was too cold for them. Should I be putting some heat supplement in the garage when the outdoor temps drop to 50? Seems so cold when I am out there

Hi - I have three babies - 5.5 weeks old. They have been in my garage since Tuesday but last night got into the low 50s last night. Today one of them seems a little puffed up (sometimes they try to freak me out by doing that but they are just sleepy) so I am keeping an eye on her but I am wondering if that was too cold for them. Should I be putting some heat supplement in the garage when the outdoor temps drop to 50? Seems so cold when I am out there
What breed are they?

Chicks that old should be good with temperatures but are you giving them any sunlight during the day?

What breed are they?

Chicks that old should be good with temperatures but are you giving them any sunlight during the day?
Not yet. I have opened the garage for a little while each day so they can see outside but I am waiting for the arrival of a pen that I bought that arrives tomorrow or the next day so I can give them outside time. THey are VERY energetic so I have to make sure I have a pen secure enough for supervised outdoor time. The one in the garage is pretty good but I am afraid to leave the door open when I am not around God forbid they get out or something else gets in. They are two Easter Eggers and a Plymouth Rock

Even if they are not fully feathered, they would be better off outside in fresh air and sunshine than in a dark garage. Sometimes people trying to be so careful with them, do not realize that they are hardier than they look, and it is good for them to be outside.

50 degrees is not cold to a chick at 4-5 weeks. I have day olds running around outside as we speak at about the same temperature, they do have a broody mama, but they spend very little time under her.

MRs K

Even if they are not fully feathered, they would be better off outside in fresh air and sunshine than in a dark garage. Sometimes people trying to be so careful with them, do not realize that they are hardier than they look, and it is good for them to be outside.

50 degrees is not cold to a chick at 4-5 weeks. I have day olds running around outside as we speak at about the same temperature, they do have a broody mama, but they spend very little time under her.

MRs K
Ugh yes - I would totally put them outside at this point because at least they could get sunshine - the thing is - I don't have another coop for them and I have to quarantine them. I just bought a big octagonal dog pen that has a removable cover and as soon as it comes I am going to take them on outdoor breaks a few times a day away from the other hens. I wish I had another predator safe coop!

Ugh yes - I would totally put them outside at this point because at least they could get sunshine - the thing is - I don't have another coop for them and I have to quarantine them. I just bought a big octagonal dog pen that has a removable cover and as soon as it comes I am going to take them on outdoor breaks a few times a day away from the other hens. I wish I had another predator safe coop!
This is the set-up I have now. Once the dog pen comes I am going to set that up for out-side time each day.
1634559967340.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom