Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
Can’t believe lockdown is tomorrow afternoon. How did these past 18 days go so quickly?!

I’m a little unsure what to do about the Marans eggs and dark olives. How do I know if I should pull them or leave them? There are 2 that I could see maybe too much glowing (clear) space in at day 14. If I can still see clear space, should I take them out? The chick should be taking up pretty much all the space in there at this point, correct? If they don’t smell, should I just leave them?

Time for me to get a brooder together and clean my heat plates.
If they don't smell and you're not 100% certain they're goners I'd leave them alone. They shouldn't smell or be seeping any fluid. There does seem to be a time of normal development right around lockdown where there is still a good deal of room at the pointy end of the egg. I don't remember exactly what day that's on. I would not purge for space alone if you feel there has been an embryo growing.

When they’re processed, do you skin or use a plucker? Have a few I may just butcher instead of keep or sell.
My husband has a strong preference for skinning. We don't eat the skin and it speeds things up after some practice.

When we've needed a plucker we have someone local who rents a plucker and scalder set up. Under $20 for the day.

My husband has a strong preference for skinning. We don't eat the skin and it speeds things up after some practice.

When we've needed a plucker we have someone local who rents a plucker and scalder set up. Under $20 for the day.

Think I’ll try skinning. Dogs don’t care if they have skin or not. Can just toss them a whole bird uncooked once finished. Still don’t know who to keep! At least there aren’t restrictions on roosters out here.

Sneak peak of the day old beebees.

One is not doing well and probably won’t make it. Very weak, wont open its eyes. Gotten it to drink but that’s all it’ll do other than sleep cuddled in a ball with my daughter. (It’s a Silver Spitzhauben :() The little silkie bantam didn’t make it either.

15 healthy little fluffs left.

Aww what little cuties! I'm sorry the little silkie didn't make it, I hope the little Spitzhauben makes it for you. Have you tried anything like save a chick, or some electrolytes or even a little sugar water to perk it up? I've found those help with some of my very weak babies. I know their chances are slim when they won't open their eyes but I've had a few pull through that were in that shape.

If they don't smell and you're not 100% certain they're goners I'd leave them alone. They shouldn't smell or be seeping any fluid. There does seem to be a time of normal development right around lockdown where there is still a good deal of room at the pointy end of the egg. I don't remember exactly what day that's on. I would not purge for space alone if you feel there has been an embryo growing.

This is wonderful advice. Thank you. If there isn’t an obvious reason to take them out, I’ll leave them.

All the chicks get the first jug of water with probiotics and electrolytes mixed in. We have been giving it that mixture. But no change. My daughter just came out and said it died. It’s tough for her, have to help her bury it now.

So sorry to hear the little one didn't make it. Sounds like you did everything you could. I hope your daughter feels better soon as well. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom