Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Pics
No guest room here. All 3 kids still at home. The 4 incubators,one cabinet, one nurture rite 360, one brinsea ovation ex56 and a styrofoam something? All live in the living room right now. DH was not happy with them crammed into the bedroom with us. The brooders are set up in the entryway
20191228_150159.jpg
oh and the bigger one in the laundry room
20200118_144836.jpg
but the birds in the glass front one are getting too big for it and need to move outside but I dont have a good location to move them to next...

Usually when I collect eggs from my backyard I just let them sit for about a half an hour and then I put them in the incubator. I have had good luck with my eggs. Other eggs not so much.

I can't keep a rooster where I currently live so 100% of my hatching eggs are sourced elsewhere. I'm really fortunate to have a lot of friends and connections that are poultry people near here though! When I do finally move to the mountains, on a nice piece of secluded acreage it's going to be sad leaving all of my chicken peeps here but I'm soooo ready to move.

I can't keep a rooster where I currently live so 100% of my hatching eggs are sourced elsewhere. I'm really fortunate to have a lot of friends and connections that are poultry people near here though! When I do finally move to the mountains, on a nice piece of secluded acreage it's going to be sad leaving all of my chicken peeps here but I'm soooo ready to move.
We are looking to get 5 + acres by next year sometime. I have to make sure I go somewhere that's agricultural land so I have no restrictions.

I should clarify, "chicken peeps" I mean people...I'm bringing my chickens. lol :D

We are looking to get 5 + acres by next year sometime. I have to make sure I go somewhere that's agricultural land so I have no restrictions.

YES! Same here!! Though in reality we're probably looking at a few years. I'm so done with restrictions and when we are finally set on where we're moving I'm going to make sure it meets all of my requirements. I haven't encountered any Georgia chicken people that are in the mountain area we've been eyeing in North Georgia and it worries me that it's not going to be a chicken friendly area, which is a must for me. I must do more research.

Y'all are cracking me up! I can't believe some of you have whole hatching room. I'd be completely out of control. Hatching nonstop all year long.

Right now I have 1 incubator that's located in the kitchen. When the chicks hatch they go in an old freestanding utility sink in the living room. Once they start hoping out of the sink (usually about 7-10 days) it time to go outside. This arrangement allows me to keep a close eye on everything.

This February hatch a long is my biggest hatch yet. With 51 eggs still looking good after pulling all the blanks and a couple early quitters. Definitely too many chicks for the tub for a week. So they'll probably be heading outside sooner rather than later.

IMG_20200127_140811622.jpg

or at least check what kind of restrictions there are. I guess I am talking building restrictions not having roosters.
I want a place that has zero restrictions which is usually in the agricultural zone. That's where I am right now is in an agricultural zone and we are allowed to have as many roosters and chickens as we want. We could have horses or anything here.

No guest room here. All 3 kids still at home. The 4 incubators,one cabinet, one nurture rite 360, one brinsea ovation ex56 and a styrofoam something? All live in the living room right now. DH was not happy with them crammed into the bedroom with us. The brooders are set up in the entryway View attachment 2013320oh and the bigger one in the laundry roomView attachment 2013328but the birds in the glass front one are getting too big for it and need to move outside but I dont have a good location to move them to next...

Where did you get your brooders? I've considered buying one for awhile now. Just haven't taken the plunge.

This is what I use as a my super easy clean brooder. The great thing about Rubbermaid/Sterilite containers is that they're inexpensive and super easy to clean. I have two that I can set up and when I'm only using one, well, they fit inside of each other so no space lost to the second brooder when not in use. I raise them for 2-3 weeks like this and then move them to the outdoor grow out pen.

Brooder Set up (2).JPG
Brooder Set up (1).JPG

Back
Top Bottom