Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I don't understand. I've always heard to use pencils (never magic markers) for marking eggs to hatch.
But it's ok to use nail polish?
The solvent in Sharpie markers evaporates in under a second and shouldn't go thru an egg shell. But nail polish uses a slow solvent and takes several minutes to dry/evaporate, giving it ample time to breach the shell. I hope the Polish doesn't hurt the baby in the shell! :confused::pop

I'm new to the nail polish approach myself, I've only people using wax or in one case someone talked about boiling (unfertilized) eggs and using the sterilized, pliable membrane to cover a hole but I don't have personal experience with any of it.

I don't understand. I've always heard to use pencils (never magic markers) for marking eggs to hatch.
But it's ok to use nail polish?
The solvent in Sharpie markers evaporates in under a second and shouldn't go thru an egg shell. But nail polish uses a slow solvent and takes several minutes to dry/evaporate, giving it ample time to breach the shell. I hope the Polish doesn't hurt the baby in the shell! :confused::pop
I've heard never to use nail polish on an egg and that you should use melted wax that's unscented. The chemicals in nail polish are bad even for a human that's why you need proper ventilation when using it. I'd be afraid of using nail polish then putting it in the incubator that doesn't have sufficient ventilation to begin with.

I've heard never to use nail polish on an egg and that you should use melted wax that's unscented. The chemicals in nail polish are bad even for a human that's why you need proper ventilation when using it. I'd be afraid of using nail polish then putting it in the incubator that doesn't have sufficient ventilation to begin with.

I'm just assuming the natural polish is safer overall and doesn't have the icky stuff in it.

I'm just assuming the natural polish is safer overall and doesn't have the icky stuff in it.
Natural nail polish is still not safe in my opinion. What they consider natural truly still isn't safe. I used to get natural nail polish put on my nails and did a lot of research on it and the chemicals in it are still iffy to me. There are still fumes that are given off whether it's natural or not then you're sticking it in a confined space with other eggs.

I wouldn't do it to my eggs, but if other people feel comfortable doing it then more power to them.

I'm more of a melted wax person.

I also had a chick hatch yesterday 😁 I haven't taken it out of the bator yet because we are trying to find a way to secure the light. I think my husband figured it out though. I'm pretty much useless right now and can't do anything.

Well, the nail polish always worked for me, and I have the same incubator she does. I just never liked melted wax, it always gets all thick and globby because it drips off so fast, and all the eggs I ever put it on died. Nail polish has been great for me, and I think it'll work just fine for @My hen house .

Back
Top Bottom