Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I still had an egg left hatching but something told me that something wasn't right with my last egg that wasn't pipped as well. Unfortunately even though I stepped in much earlier than I normally would have it had already passed. It was perfect and ready to hatch but wasn't even able to internally pip. It was malpositioned, beak away from air cell. I believe it was because of the giant vault on it's noggin. Late losses are way harder for me and of the 100's of chicks I've hatched this is only 1 of a few late losses I've experienced in hatching. View attachment 2029729 So sad but I've had a fantastic first hatch of the year just the same! 9 out of 10 beautiful babies for a 90% hatch rate! Fingers crossed that I get 100% on the Salmon Faverolles next! There's already quite a lot of activity in that incubator, 6 external pips and day 21 is tomorrow!

View attachment 2029731 For those of you that would like to see the results of the eggtopsy, it was very clean but you can see perfectly how she was positioned in the egg and it would likely be educational for those that are new to hatching so I thought I would share.

That's almost impossible to have them hatch successfully from. So sorry you lost him :hugs

He's out a gorgeous black baby <3
1582064209342.png

I love the crests on their heads they have to be the cutest things ever. Not sure a silky would make it well up here without a luxury chicken mansion but they are so adorable.
I hope I get polish out of the eggs I'm incubating because they are so cute when they're little. I've never had silkies. I want to get some sometimes.

Something in my gut said to make a safety hole for the egg. I’m glad I did, it was not even internally pipped, come to find out it’s malpositioned. Not terribly bad, but I think if I wouldn’t have checked, I would have lost it. It was already “chewing” before I got it’s beak out. I got it’s beak out without issue.

the egg is back in the incubator with a damp washcloth around it. It still has a little veining, but as long as it can breathe, I’m good.

it makes assisting so much easier when there is only 1 egg in the bator!

So glad you trusted your gut and made the right call for your little one! I hope everything goes smoothly for you both from here. :)

I still had an egg left hatching but something told me that something wasn't right with my last egg that wasn't pipped as well. Unfortunately even though I stepped in much earlier than I normally would have it had already passed. It was perfect and ready to hatch but wasn't even able to internally pip. It was malpositioned, beak away from air cell. I believe it was because of the giant vault on it's noggin. Late losses are way harder for me and of the 100's of chicks I've hatched this is only 1 of a few late losses I've experienced in hatching. View attachment 2029729 So sad but I've had a fantastic first hatch of the year just the same! 9 out of 10 beautiful babies for a 90% hatch rate! Fingers crossed that I get 100% on the Salmon Faverolles next! There's already quite a lot of activity in that incubator, 6 external pips and day 21 is tomorrow!

View attachment 2029731 For those of you that would like to see the results of the eggtopsy, it was very clean but you can see perfectly how she was positioned in the egg and it would likely be educational for those that are new to hatching so I thought I would share.

So sorry about your little malposition baby, it's always hard losing them right at the end. :hugs

Come to think of it all three of my little silkies from recent hatches who were badly malpositioned had rather large vaults as well. One was DIS and the other two just didn't make it despite my efforts to assist (blood vessels were absorbed before the babies adjusted to using their lungs).

Congratulations on a really great hatch otherwise, and good luck with the faverolles! :)

Back
Top Bottom