Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

I know that I should post this here but anyway I just got 5 chicks from meyer's Hatchery today I got 3 more then I meant to because of the sale and I finally know what a chicken fever feels like

I know this sounds weird or gross but I have my chicks in the bathroom and I'm currently typing this using the restroom with a chick sleeping in my shirt I think I've gone chicken mad

Hilarious! I have had the brooder in the bathroom (near the incubator) and spent time with the chicks before work and felt a little like a crazy chicken lady. #noregrets 🤣 What kind of chicks did you get?

I had a 2.5 hr proctored exam yesterday after a 6-week long self-study course that I'm glad to see the back of. My thoughts kept drifting off to my leap day hatch and wondering if #10 (the one blue egg) will hatch a pullet. I thought, I really need an intervention. Somehow managed to pass the exam though so no intervention will be necessary! 😜

Hilarious! I have had the brooder in the bathroom (near the incubator) and spent time with the chicks before work and felt a little like a crazy chicken lady. #noregrets 🤣 What kind of chicks did you get?

I had a 2.5 hr proctored exam yesterday after a 6-week long self-study course that I'm glad to see the back of. My thoughts kept drifting off to my leap day hatch and wondering if #10 (the one blue egg) will hatch a pullet. I thought, I really need an intervention. Somehow managed to pass the exam though so no intervention will be necessary! 😜
We wouldnt be on this forum if we weren't all a little chicken obsessed:p I had my chicks in my jacuzzi tub for the first week. I think I've actually bathed in that tub twice in 15 years so at least it gets used at hatching time. The funniest thing is when my husband comes in and says "this is just not normal" LOL:rolleyes:

I remember a couple of you saying you're using Brinsea incubators. I finally got mine, sterilized it and started running it but it smelled quite odd to me so I unscrewed the top portion and wiped it out and properly sanitized it as well....it doesn't smell like anything when it's off and I have tried airing it out multiple times after running it for hours. It smells...weird, like not quite electrical burning but like a plastic smell maybe? None of my other incubators have had this smell while they're running. Is it normal? I did look at the heating element and I see that it appears to be wrapped copper wires that heat up. I'm wondering if whatever that rubbery surround is around the heating wires is what smells so different to me. Anyway, I'm afraid to leave it running because I don't want to burn the house down and I also don't want to fumigate any eggs that I put in it...help? lol, Is the smell normal?
What you're describing reminded me of this recent post. I've never used either of these brands (Brinsea or Nurture right) but the Farm Innovators I use did have a breaking in period. Off gassing or burn off from the manufacturing process. Didn't last long. Maybe a few days.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-360-out-gassing-latex.1348842/#post-22210298

My first ever incubator hatch! They started hatching Sunday. 14 chicks, looks like 2 serama, 5 possible Onagadori, 7 yellow chicks that are polish and light Brahma crosses ( I think ). 4 eggs still in the incubator with no signs of activity. This is so cool. I let a silkie hatch eggs last fall, and have 5 serama pullets, 1 silkie pullet and a silkie/serama cross that I hope is a pullet. I culled 4 male serama chicks at 3 weeks because I am overloaded with serama cockerels.

Another chick. One of the pipped chicks had died in the shell :(. Waiting on spotty to show some signs of life.

Attachments

• IMG_20200225_173216581.jpg
    IMG_20200225_173216581.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 6

These were the eggs that were shipped upside down, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? Out of 12 eggs we have 2 babies upto now. One egg got stuck to the incubator and broke day 1.. 3 went to go under my mum's broody, but broody kicked 1 egg out (a few days behind the eggs I had here). 4 made it to lockdown.

Last edited:
These were the eggs that were shipped upside down, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? Out of 12 eggs we have 2 babies upto now. One egg got stuck to the incubator and broke day 1.. 2 went to go under my mum's broody (a few days behind the eggs I had here). 4 made it to lockdown.

I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it. I get a lot more DIS chicks with shipped eggs. Though I've yet to have badly deformed chicks in my flocks eggs or local eggs I've had a few shipped egg babies that didn't quite make it to hatch that had deformities that would have been incompatible with life. Shipping just really throws a wrench in the works sometimes. :hmm

Getting two to hatch is still good for shipped eggs, I'm so glad you got two little ones so far! :)

Back
Top Bottom