Too early for layer feed?

Cindymac

Chirping
Jun 13, 2021
We have 18 16 week old black sexlinks pullets, and 24 3 year old mixed breeds. Because the sex links were getting so big so quick we made the decision to allow then to integrate with our mature hens about 2 weeks ago. All went well, no issues other then the normal pecking order stuff. My concerns now lay in the feeding. The week before allowing them all to hang out together, we blended the chick grower with the Layer feed. Now they all eat the layer feed, mostly b/c the big girls like to eat out of the little girs area and drink from their fountain. Reading some of the comments, I'm now nervous that we've done the wrong thing and should go back to grower feed for all for a few weeks to avoid any possible problems with the little one in the future. Any thoughts??

We have 18 16 week old black sexlinks pullets, and 24 3 year old mixed breeds. Because the sex links were getting so big so quick we made the decision to allow then to integrate with our mature hens about 2 weeks ago. All went well, no issues other then the normal pecking order stuff. My concerns now lay in the feeding. The week before allowing them all to hang out together, we blended the chick grower with the Layer feed. Now they all eat the layer feed, mostly b/c the big girls like to eat out of the little girs area and drink from their fountain. Reading some of the comments, I'm now nervous that we've done the wrong thing and should go back to grower feed for all for a few weeks to avoid any possible problems with the little one in the future. Any thoughts??
The main concerns between an all flock, a grower, and a layer feed are protein and calcium. The most important concern is the calcium. Too much for non layers can cause kidney damage. This is a chronic problem, not accute. Usually what we’re talking about is feeding a mixed flock (i.e. with Roos) strictly layer feed. This can and will cut time off the Roos life, but we’re talking months/years at the end, not them falling over dead in a month. Same for hens past laying age, if you keep them.

16 weeks for the new additions could be close to, or far from, laying. The extra calcium won’t be great for them, but it’s not going to be a catastrophic issue.

I know it can be a pain, but why not just stick with an all flock or grower and offer oyster shell/calcium/egg shell separately? If they need it they’ll eat it.

That, or you could do exclusively grower/layer with oyster shell until the new birds are laying, and then just put them all back on layer.

Mixing the grower and layer long term though probably isn’t a good idea. Too much calcium for the new ones, not enough for the ones that are laying.

At 16 weeks, I’m started to add a small amount of layer pellets to my grower feed. I started at a 1 to 8 ratio (layer to grower) last week and will give slight increases going forward. This started at the advice of the hatchery where my chicks came from. Also, I have read that it’s good to start blending rather than make a sudden change as it will give their digestive system an easier time adjusting to the new food. I believe that because the first two days after starting the blended food, their normal poop was a little runny. That cleared up in the third day. They will be 18 weeks next week so I expect them to be laying in the near future. I’ve opened up the nesting boxes and they are beginning to go in and scratch around so it shouldn’t be long now.

The layer feed won't hurt them at this age for that breed. It's actually better to start feeding the extra calcium a few weeks before you expect the first egg.
How do you know when to expect the first egg I have five who turned 13weeks today. And two 23 week old my polished laid one egg two weeks ago and hasn’t laid since.

How do you know when to expect the first egg I have five who turned 13weeks today. And two 23 week old my polished laid one egg two weeks ago and hasn’t laid since.
I have Novogens and they typically start laying between 16 and 18 weeks according to the hatchery. If you go on the Purina website, they recommend that you switch to layer feed at 18 weeks.

https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed/education/detail/how-to-switch-to-a-chicken-layer-feed

Hope this helps.

I wońt switch completely in the next two weeks for sure. Ím mixing in a small amount for now to help them transition. I´m also transition from crumbles to pellets and want to make sure they will go the the pellets. So far, they like the pellets a lot so when I finally switch to layer I shouldńt have any problem.

Back
Top Bottom