1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justadmin, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Justadmin

Justadmin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    Hi all,

Hoping for some anecdotal advice from those more experienced than I.

We've had our two hybrid gingernuts for almost a month now, and I can't believe how tame and lovely they are! They don't mind us being near them or sitting with them, they follow me around the garden, they let us pick them up (although one I think enjoys it and one just tolerates it lol), they're not afraid of us or anything negative towards us at all......and I can't help but worry that it's too good to be true! So in people's opinions and experience, do chickens ever stop being so lovely? Like are they just going to turn on me one day and decide "actually, no, you're the psycho who locks us back up when we actually just want to be roaming free all day, I'm never letting you touch me again!"

I have a history of anxiety lol. So when things go good I'm always worried they'll go bad! So appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Barring a negative experience, a bout of broodiness, etc they should remain the same as they are now.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I've found that some chickens will always be friendly, whereas others become a little more aloof as they age. The opposite can happen when pullets begin to lay. Chickens are as varied as people sometimes in terms of personality IME.

Ct

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds pretty amazing and fun!
    How old are they and where did you get them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by