Too Late To Order Ducklings?

So I’m wanting to order about 9 female ducklings. I was thinking about ordering close to October to November. But I’m in WV, so I’m afraid it will be snowing by then and temperatures will be to low to ship live ducklings. Should I just wait till the spring?
@WVduckchick @WannaBeHillBilly might have some advice since they are also in WV!

Our weather is so unpredictable! But October and November aren't usually too bad. I'd be more worried in January and February. I had a momma duck hatch ducklings at the beginning of March, and they got snowed on!

But I think your setup would be the big question. Can you provide heat for a few weeks if necessary?
I'd say go for it! But I'm an enabler. :lol:

Usually the USPS takes good care of the birds in their custody, so even in the depth of winter your ducklings will be fine. - Rare (!) exceptions can occur, sadly.
I had ordered ducklings from two different hatcheries, Metzer Farms in CA and Ideal in TX for the last week of January this year. I had the Spring Ducklings in a kiddie-pool in my home-office for about two weeks and it was the best and the worst experience of my life: The best, because my (now) ducks still know and trust me. The worst, because ducklings have a very fast metabolism and the enormous amounts of food that goes in at the front end leaves the little one at the opposite end as a terrible, stinky mess…
My opinion: If you can provide them with enough brooder-space, a decent heat source, like a Momma Heat-Cave in a frost-free room until they are at least two months old, you can order ducklings year-round.

Is there anyway you could have them shipped sooner or just get them next spring?.Yes,you can order babies in the Late fall/Winter but it will sure be a more pain in butt caring for them compared to as doing it in the spring/summer.

I ordered ducklings in early spring once and let me tell you that will be the last time i make the mistake again.

Our weather is so unpredictable! But October and November aren't usually too bad. I'd be more worried in January and February. I had a momma duck hatch ducklings at the beginning of March, and they got snowed on!

But I think your setup would be the big question. Can you provide heat for a few weeks if necessary?
I'd say go for it! But I'm an enabler. :lol:

I keep all my Ducklings in my home until about 4-6 weeks. Then move them to a large barn until most of their feathers come in.

143F6FA4-F14F-4CB1-B03E-379C66342079.jpeg
Thank you all for the advice! Also I wanted to share a recent picture of my ducks. :love

Back
Top Bottom