Too long between internal and external pip?

allergymama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Michigan
Internal pip was last night 11pm (mixed breed goose). I can see them working at an external pip now, but they still aren't through 8pm. Should I try to poke an air hole? Everything I've read says should be 4-12 hours from internal to external.

Worried goose mama!

Geese take 24-48 hrs so don't get excited and intervene just yet.
Very good advice here !

Everyone.. PLEASE pay attention to when the "internal"
pip has occurred, easy to tell if you monitor the eggs during incubation.
The larger end is the air cell end and will be tilting UP IN THE AIR until internal pip has happened, usually 1-2 days pre " due date ".
Once the " internal pip" has happened
the egg will sit level and hatch out should happen within 48 hours.
The chicks in those shells have enough air...."AFTER" the internal pip has happened.... for 2 days max.
When it's getting close to 48 hours "AFTER" the internal pip has happened
and no external pip has been made ..then, and only then...should you intervene and make a very tiny air hole with a Sterilized tool in the air cell end.
Just enough to get the chick air is all. After that leave it alone, that chick needs to do ALL THE WORK ON IT'S OWN in order to work the yolk sac in fully, etc.

Well, thats exactly what I did. Success

I am stressing about this again. Now I'm at 39 hours since internal pip. One is externally pipped and the other three seem to be tapping very weakly.

Weak tapping may mean you need to try and intervene or most likely it is too weak to get out..... that said... maybe it just needs a little help (there are threads here on how to intervene).... it may be defective or just a bit weak ...shell could be too thick, or number of things. I had this happen, I will give some assitance.... that said, I have had a couple defective ones, and one die.... others were fine...

Allergymama, did you help them?

I ended up not helping. I (literally) sat on my hands to make that happen (and had to leave the house at one point because it was making me so stressed out. Lol)

The last to hatch had a rough time and was very weak, but by the following day you couldn't tell her apart from the others. (And by the way they are huge already at 1.5 weeks.)

Back
Top Bottom