Too low price for 3 hens?

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
Not really sure where to place this so I thought this would be the best place.
Is $20 for 3 laying hens too low of a price to ask for? When Im ready, I want to post an ad on craigslist asking for 3 laying hens. Im thinking $20 would be a good price for 3 hens but I could be wrong. Anyone?

Generally it all depends where you are located. I purchased 5 layers off of craigs a few weeks back for 10 bucks for the lot of them.

So much depends on the market in your area. What I would do instead of posting a WTB ad, is peruse your local Craigslist daily to take stock of the prices people are asking. Even in my area there are ads daily for all types of poultry. At this time of year, I am mostly seeing people trying to offload older laying hens prior to winter, but still see the occasional ad for pullets. In Florida, with the climate being what less harsh, you might even still see ads for chicks. If I were you, for the next few weeks I'd look at it daily and get an idea of the prices people are asking. That will give you the best idea of what you might expect to pay for a trio.

I sell my older hens for about that much.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree - you need to watch the craigslist ads for hen prices in your location. The prices really vary according to your area - supply & demand type of thing. I live in a big metropolitan area and young hens & laying pullets go for $15 - $20 each here where I live.

Contact some of the Florida BYCers first to see what they have..I believe there is someone around High Springs that sometimes sells. Be careful what you buy..don't get "hooked" with old barely laying or sick hens.

Back
Top Bottom