Too low price for 3 hens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by McCord6, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Not really sure where to place this so I thought this would be the best place.
    Is $20 for 3 laying hens too low of a price to ask for? When Im ready, I want to post an ad on craigslist asking for 3 laying hens. Im thinking $20 would be a good price for 3 hens but I could be wrong. Anyone?

2. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Generally it all depends where you are located. I purchased 5 layers off of craigs a few weeks back for 10 bucks for the lot of them.

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    So much depends on the market in your area. What I would do instead of posting a WTB ad, is peruse your local Craigslist daily to take stock of the prices people are asking. Even in my area there are ads daily for all types of poultry. At this time of year, I am mostly seeing people trying to offload older laying hens prior to winter, but still see the occasional ad for pullets. In Florida, with the climate being what less harsh, you might even still see ads for chicks. If I were you, for the next few weeks I'd look at it daily and get an idea of the prices people are asking. That will give you the best idea of what you might expect to pay for a trio.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I sell my older hens for about that much. [​IMG]

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I agree - you need to watch the craigslist ads for hen prices in your location. The prices really vary according to your area - supply & demand type of thing. I live in a big metropolitan area and young hens & laying pullets go for $15 - $20 each here where I live.

6. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    Contact some of the Florida BYCers first to see what they have..I believe there is someone around High Springs that sometimes sells. Be careful what you buy..don't get "hooked" with old barely laying or sick hens.

7. Quote:Im not planning on buying any hens without asking BYCers what they think first, LOL! more experience people around me should keep me from making a BIG mistake!

8. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    i get my commets from the amish in my area for about a doller a peice various bantys=$.75

9. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    lucky you silkydragon..the Amish in my community have golden comets for $12.00 pol bantams are$3.00 up!!

10. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Around my part of the country laying hens are going for $12-15 and pullets for $10.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by