Too many cockerels??

I just feel bad for my two Silkies he pecks at them and doesn't like letting them into the coop at night, he sits in the door way and one is inside and the other on the ramp .we had to put them in a separate coop from the red girls because they were being nasty to the EE rooster and sometimes the silkies But I have learned a lot along the way and I am sure i'll learn a lot more from this website ..Thanks

You have two opposite breed types, in so many ways. Production reds are often pushy feather pecking little beasts, and I don't have them because they can be so miserable to flockmates.
Silkies tend to be fragile, IMO, can't see well, and often need separate housing.
That would be an answer here; a coop for Silkies only!
Mary

we are finding out how bossy they can be .. Thanks for the tips. right now the EE and silkies are together, if you take away the silkies he goes nuts crowing for them and runs around looking for them then he will settle down. We didn't plan on the having a ROO but you never know when they are only two days old .. thanks again

Hens will make a young rooster (cockerel) work for his place in the sun! Eating some 'humble pie' isn't a bad thing for an adolescent male, as long as there's enough space, separate feeders and waterers, out of sight places, and no actual injuries.
Mary

34B8861B-803C-41A9-A27C-E3D1A7489D3B.jpeg 890F6427-8621-4D12-A1DE-0E8BC3B55065.jpeg
we are finding out how bossy they can be .. Thanks for the tips. right now the EE and silkies are together, if you take away the silkies he goes nuts crowing for them and runs around looking for them then he will settle down. We didn't plan on the having a ROO but you never know when they are only two days old .. thanks again

I never planned on my first roo, was supposed to be a golden laced female, oops nope!! Golden laced cockerel! But he’s awesome and very friendly. I ordered a light Brahma male before I found out the golden laced was too. But I have 8 pullets for my golden laced (Jerry) and my baby light Brahma roo has 6 ladies of his own. But these bantams I knew were a crap shoot when ordering. Just my luck 4 out of 6 are cockerels!! Maybe a couple of them will be jerks and I won’t mind getting rid of them Hahahaha! But at 10 weeks, they’re so friendly and the coolest looking bantams!! I have the 2 D’uccles that are inseparable so right now I could never choose who has to go! Elvis & MJ

Back
Top Bottom