Too many ducks

Sproutgirl, I read Enslaved by Ducks a few months ago ... kinda cute. There's a sequel, too, called "Fowl Weather." I haven't read that one, though.

Gwen

I don't have any ducks, but is there a problem here?
idunno.gif

I think my DH is wondering if we have 'too many ducks' now also.

I started with 3 ducklings from TSC last Spring...lucked out and got a pair of Black Swedish and the third was a Mallard drake. We rehomed him since I didnt want mixed ducklings or 2 boys a 1 girl.

Then another BYC'r had a friend that wanted to rehome a Muscovy and a Magpie pair. So we offered to take them. Which put me to 4 ducks. Then we started going to the auction...came home with several sets of call ducks, a mini appleyard and some other small duck. None of them got along with my Swedish pair, so I took them back to auction. But after reselling all of them, a pretty pair of blue ducks show up at the auction...Swedish to boot. So I had to have them. Total duck count at the end of 2008...6.

Then Spring hits and I just have to try hatching duck eggs. First batch of 5 hatch...just have to keep the first duck I ever hatched (and it was crested too!). Sell the other ducklings and the lone one goes into fits, so I had to go to TSC and buy it a Pekin friend! Duck count up to 8. Next 2 hatches of ducklings of course have adorable runts in both, and I can't not keep them. Duck count now up to 10!!!!

Muscovy is sitting on some of her eggs and some Swedish eggs and one of her eggs is also under a broody Silkie. I know I will just have to keep a cute Magpie/Muscovy baby!!

I am sure some cute Call duck babies should start showing up at the auction soon......

Accckkk, where does it end??? Lol

Oh no. I hatched out ducks, telling myself they were "just for my aunt". We ended up keeping a black one. Then two little crested blue swedish hatched....and somehow they are still here.....there are duck eggs in the incubator....
big_smile.png

Ummm I think I need to join this club. Started off with two Pekins. Could I leave well enough alone? NOoooooooooooooooooo of course not. Even though I had a duck and a drake. Nope. I went to the local feed store. I ended up with two more drakes. UGH!

Then bought 2 white call ducks. Both ducks. So I have 3 Pekin drakes, 1 Pekin duck, 2 white call ducks.

What to do, what to do? So while I'm ordering some chicks for my grandson for his birthday I say "what the heck and add two more Pekin ducks to my order (plus some more chicks) which hubby doesn't know about.

I am soooooooooooo dead! LOL

But I couldn't have 3 drakes and one duck now could I??? Well I couldn't, right?? ummmm, right? Y'all will back me up.....
hide.gif

They're supposed to be here tomorrow or Friday.

Laurie

I have 33 with more eggs to hatch! Hubby want to kill me sometimes but he loves them also. When he goes out to see them he always says " How are my little quack attacks?" They are just so cute and addicting when they are in their little flock and all come waddling or swimming over.

Haha, I just started reading Enslaved by Ducks!

I thought I was having a problem too, but DH kinda made me see the light and had to let go of 4 drakes. Life is good now and I hope I am done. 5 hens and 1 drake. Life in the yard should be perfect now, right?

I hope so because that is what I have. Hopefully Bungie wont get too worn out with all those girls to deal with...LOL

I've read "Enslaved by ducks". That was when I only had chickens. At the time I thought it was very amusing, but couldn't see me with ducks.

Thanks for everyone's support (not).
Oh, and 2 hatched from my first attempt.
What I figure is - now I have 10 ducks so if I get 2 more I can join a 12 step program. Right?

Back
Top Bottom