too many eggs.

abikalyss

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2016
Virginia
I know chickens lay every 25 hours. The day before yesterday I got all the eggs and made sure at the end of the day all the boxes were empty. My husband came behind me a couple hours later and confirmed all empty boxes.
The next day I found seven more eggs than we have hens. Anyone know anything about this or experienced this before?

Occasionally, a hen will lay more than one egg in a 24 hour period. I had a home bred BSL who passed 2 rubber and a normal egg in a 24 hour period. How many birds do you have in your flock? And the 25 hour statement is merely an average.

Last edited:
Little over 30. 4 are turkeys, ones a duck, and six roosters (all but two are kept separate from hens and each other because they're going to be food in a week or so) the rest are hens

I am unsure how many hens you have, or even if you have these hens' brothers or daddies, but if you still have both sexes there is a good chance that you can become independently wealthy by breeding, line breeding, inbreeding, and fixing this trait in your hens' DNA.

Of course remember that the old one egg every 25 hours is not a hard and fast rule. The reality is something more like one egg every 18 hours or else one egg every 48 or even 72 hours (which is more in line) with CornishX or trophy and hobby hens like like those that are bred for their feathers instead of raised for their eggs.

So please tell us how many eggs you gathered from how many hens.

If you wish to understand the potential for being remembered forever in the lore of agriculture. At the dawn of the 20th Century the average annual hen egg production in the USA was around 80 eggs per-year. Is it any wonder then that politicians use to campaign on the slogan, "TWO CHICKENS IN EVERY POT!"

I've never seen or heard of the rubbery egg thing. What causes that? Lack of calcium or a problem with the hen?

A soft shell egg is caused by a problem with the hens' reproductive system.

I some cases it can be "fixed" or cured easily while in other cases nothing helps but culling the hen.

PS: You can eat "rubbery" eggs but I do recommend that you first fry them up into an omelet.

Raw eggs are bad for you:

Case in point is the 117 year old French woman who recently passed away.
When asked to what she attributed her long life she answered "My genes and the two raw eggs that I eat every day."
People, Them "raw" eggs will kill you, it only took them from 1899 to bump her off her!
lau.gif

Laying so many eggs a day sounds cruel. I wouldn't do that to my birds.
George can be a little off the wall...grains of salt.

An occasional soft shell is not unusual, especially with newly laying pullets or hens going out of and/or coming back into lay.

It can be a calcium issue, a anatomical anomaly......or disease.

Are these birds new layers?
Were all extra eggs chicken eggs...from the 20 chicken hens??
What breed chickens?
7 extra out of 20 is alot.
Are you sure no one's yanking your chain?

Back
Top Bottom