Too many male ducks?

I wasn't planning on breeding the two different breeds but will they do that on there own, if so are they good for meat?

Yes, male Muscovies will breed any females they find. Muscovies and Pekins are sometimes deliberately crossed for meat birds, so yes, Muscovy crosses are good to eat.

I wasn't planning on breeding the two different breeds but will they do that on there own, if so are they good for meat?

They do that on their own. Ducks will mate with any breed, there have even been EXTREMELY rare "gucks"- goose/duck hybrids.
And yes, but you'll need to get rid of the drakes. You can only have one drake for 4-5 females, 7-9 females in Scovies.
The mule crosses are good for meat, but Welsh Harlequin ducks are so small that the meat wouldn't be as big as other breeds. Welsh Harlequins are for eggs, not meat, and Muscovy females are only 8 lbs. Muscovy males are 12-15 lbs, so they would easily harm your 4.5 lbs Welsh Harlequins. I would suggest getting a bigger breed or all Scovies if you want to have Muscovy ducks.
I suggest Muscovies, but it's up to you. A 12-15 pound drake is a lot for a 4-5 pound Welsh Harlequin duck, especially since Muscovies are more vigorous than Welsh Harlequins.
I'm not saying Muscovies are mean to their females; they are very attentive, but you have to consider the possibility of harm.

Back
Top Bottom