Too Many Mealworms?

RenataPorter

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hi...I decided to raise mealworms to supplement feed for my chickens, but I have way more than I can give away. I've heard they should be treats but I was thinking of supplementing a couple times a week. They are just now at laying age, so I'm hoping it's ok.
Thank you.

Hi...I decided to raise mealworms to supplement feed for my chickens, but I have way more than I can give away. I've heard they should be treats but I was thinking of supplementing a couple times a week. They are just now at laying age, so I'm hoping it's ok.
Thank you.
A lot of people will tell you to keep it to 10% or less of total diet. I am of a different school school of thought. If chickens can free range and eat whatever they like then they'll eat any bugs they find with no mind for diet ratios. My main concern about mealworms specifically is the fat content and the heat during summer, I'd offer them before bedtime. Fatty foods contributors to body heat, so you don't want to offer them during the hot part of the day if you're in a hot climate (like me in South Texas).

I'm in NE Texas...so thanks for that. I will change the time of day I offer them. I was actually thinking like you. If they can scratch up worms and bugs as they wander about, what's the difference.

A lot of people will tell you to keep it to 10% or less of total diet. I am of a different school school of thought. If chickens can free range and eat whatever they like then they'll eat any bugs they find with no mind for diet ratios. My main concern about mealworms specifically is the fat content and the heat during summer, I'd offer them before bedtime. Fatty foods contributors to body heat, so you don't want to offer them during the hot part of the day if you're in a hot climate (like me in South Texas).
Thank you for the advice on timing. I’ve been giving them to mine about mid-morning 😬
I agree, even in the run mine are digging up bugs. I do try to alternate the treats they get from me though. 1 day mealworms, the next some garden goodies etc. I give them a block of fodder every 2 or 3 days, wild blackberries, mock berries & weeds at least every other day & fermented feed almost every day. I try to make sure they stay happy & have a good variety in their diet. I’ve heard that happy hens lay better eggs 🙃

Back
Top Bottom