Too many roos...

Craigslist has worked really well for me. Try to get some pictures to go with the ad, and provide enough info. I think selling them for a small fee (I sold mine for $5) actually really helps. I sell mine to people who just need a rooster for their flock, not to eat. Include lots of positives in your ad (beautiful, tame rooster, show quality, rare breed, etc.). I always say I can deliver to certain areas. I also mention that I can give people tips on how to keep their roosters nice, and deal with aggressive ones. Local bulletin boards are a good place to advertise too.

The roosters that I didn't want with the hens, and that were waiting to be sold I put in a 'bachelor pad', in the orchard. I actually have several roosters in with my hens right now: the really docile, nice ones who don't excessively chase the hens. As long as you have a place to keep them, you don't have to resort to killing them.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I was trying to get rid of five EE roos, on Craigslist and bulletin board at the farm store, with no luck. Ended up finding an Amish couple and, for a $1.75 a bird, my roos are now in my fridge. It was hard … but I will do it again if needed. I’m so happy I found these people.

Agree with post above on selling them. Internet is good but no one is willing to drive very far to pick up a rooster. Local ads are likely a better bet.

"Free" ads seam to send a certain message that attracts iffy people some times. Best to ask a few bucks and give away as many as you can once you find a prospective buyier you have a good feeling about. Local ads are likely a better bet. Selling the roos with a pair of hens helps move the roos and stand your ground on not selling hens without at least one roo.

But I do think it is less frustration and effort to simply make stew out of them. Can't remember who posted it but the just of it was, no sense giving them away to get eaten, if I fed them, just as well be me that gets to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom