Too Many Roosters, need advice on shooting them

Remember, OP is from Johannesburg, South Africa.......so if you can, give them away to some of the African tribes. They would be glad to take a chicken to feed themselves or a breeder.

if your squeamish about the blood from a hatchet or cone killing, you wont like what happens when you shoot it in the head. you mentioned you could take them to the amish, I would go see if they wanted them. they will put them to good use and you wont have to deal with killing them.

Quote:
I saw that but says he live in MI so I am confused. I don't think shooting a chicken would work they move to much and the way to hold them down I think would cause a lot of blood with the shot. I hope you find the answer to your problem. I also do rescues all of my animals except my chickens are rescues. So I know about abuse. I have also choose since I will hatch chicks then the extra roosters will be for dinner. I am sorry if people upset you. I think the most where trying to be helpful.

Shooting can be just as messy as sliting their throat or chopping their head off.
Bantams do make nice meat, just not much of it. If you don't want the meat then see if the Amish want it or try selling them. Bantams make nice pets to some folks.

Please don't hold it when you shoot or we maybe reading about it in the news.
tongue.png
Whatever method you decide on be safe about it.

Quote:
I saw that but says he live in MI so I am confused. I don't think shooting a chicken would work they move to much and the way to hold them down I think would cause a lot of blood with the shot. I hope you find the answer to your problem. I also do rescues all of my animals except my chickens are rescues. So I know about abuse. I have also choose since I will hatch chicks then the extra roosters will be for dinner. I am sorry if people upset you. I think the most where trying to be helpful.

I agree, I am confused of his location.

Quote:
I agree a .22 to the head, while holding the head in your hand is just plain dangerous, not to mention will be just as messy/bloody. You need to try a bit harder to find someone willing to take them. Lots of people would love to a a good rooster dinner.

Quote:
I don't see a problem killing a horse that is such bad conditon or vet bills are so high. Better put the horse down if it is suffering and too expensive. A .22 hallow nosed bullet can do alot more damage than a hard nosed one.

I agree a hollow point should work you might have to make a cone to hold the chicken snug so it can't move then you might be able to get a shot off and hit the head I do think there will be blood but I am not sure I only have a 22 rifle.

Back
Top Bottom