Too many too soon???how many chicks are enough??

More chicken math. I only wanted 6 I ended up with 9, lost 2, added 4, have room for 3 more, this equals expanding coop.

HAHa! Got 15 last month,a week later got 6 more and now planning on more EE's,and trying silkies,barred rocks& polish next year.i am hooked :) :) :)

To update: The kid had me pick up 6 straight-run chicks that were the same age (hatched Monday also) as my Lorps - they look a lot like my Lorps, yet I was told they are black Giants. Soooooo......we now have 21.
yippiechickie.gif

They're adorable Bush Chickens!

There's no such thing as too many chickens, so long as you have time/space/resources for them all. I decided to get 5-7 chickens or so this year. It ballooned to 22 in my brooder now, 30 more chicks from Cackle due to arrive mid-April and 4 geese coming at the beginning of April. How does this happen!?
tongue.png

I'd love to start incubating as well but I had to put it off after I bought the Cackle chicks. Need to finish their coop and fencing before I even dream of that, LOL.

More of their names are:the 1 on the far left in top pic is Ding,a golden laced wyandotte.she loves to flap those little wings like eagle!she thinks she can fly :) the little chick in the last pic is Cherry,an ISA Brown,what are those???and Morse(as in code) the RIR,she has a dot&a dash on her head :) and Gloves the Jersey giant looks like she has little finger gloves!!!the 1 buried under the others in pic 1 is Truffles,another Arucana

Here's my 8 new peepers!!!
woot.gif

the big yellow 1 is a brahma,my sister named her Carlos(did you watch Hop?) I call her Carla,the 1 rite below her is Ruby,an Auracana(Rural King said they are the same as EE's,buuutt,im not sure...
What did the little girl say on the movie? Something like "IT'S SO FLUFFY I COULD DIE!!!!!"

I sterted last fall with 30 cornishx. Also had 6 easter egger chicks but only 3 survived to laying age. Now those 3 give an egg a day while the one cornish x we kept sort of acts like a chicken and lays one egg evry two-three days. I have 22 chicks in the brooder right now with 25 more coming at end of april, along with 12 turkeys for the holidays. My kids want ducks again and the meat birds are coming as soon as I get the braggs I ordered. So my chicken math is exponential. I love the little chickees and I love the laying hens. Oh, wait I also bought 5 copper marans that were supposed to be layers but I think They are just old stew birds. So I have a Ginormous amount of free rangers coming. But I have 2500 acres to raise them and All the time in the world for my critters. We have quite a few others, but my favorites are the baby chicks. I just cant get enough of them. I cant wait to figure out how to post pics so I can show off my flock of cuties. Oh, by the way, I am a Man, who loves all animals, yet also eats animals, and I dont wear hair gel. Thank you for letting me post here, great site BYC!!!!!

Chicken math is bad! I started with 23 straight run mutt chicks 4 years ago. After roosters developed we kept one and the rest went to freezer camp. 1 rooster and 12 hens. The next year we let a hen(the mutt that I still have) hatch out some chicks. We bought a few more for her to raise as well then we bought 50 meat birds and some EE's and silkies. The next year it ballooned up to a flock of 120 something 2 years later. This was only temporary. We had raised 50 CX's and a flock of replacements for layers. Then those dirty rotten chickens were a gateway animal to others. Then last year I added a few geese and ducks. Right now my adult flock is composed of 5 White rock hens and White rock rooster, a Buff Orpington, Snowball(the old mutt), 5 pekin ducks, 1 pekin drake and a lone American buff gander. We hatched eggs in an incubator for the first time so we also have 23 chicks. We have 9 duck eggs in the bator developing nicely and 2 goslings coming in the mail. Now I am considering a few turkeys as well.

Back
Top Bottom