Too much pecking

nwe319

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
North Carolina
Hey guys, I currently have 5 chicks in the brooder, an assortment of breeds, but they have been together since birthand are now a dayover 3 weeks. The problem is I got 2,day old Americaunas and I noticed the Black Australorp (3 weeks old) constantly pecked at the new Americaunas. Is there any way I can curb this behavior? Thanks!

Add shiny, more interesting things to your brooder. Add a mirror, or a tin can. My birds personal favorite is the thermometer. Every chick I have brooded in my brooder insists on pecking my thermometer until it falls down and then they all pile on top of it and "Peck, Peck, Peck" at it all day long. I think they like the bright red thermometer needle inside of it.

Good Luck with your birds.

I've heard that when chicks peck, it's a space issue. I agree with hanging something shiny up, but perhaps you could also make another compartment for the smaller chicks, with a small hole that only they can get through? That way, they can escape, if need be. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the responses and ideas. I honestly do not think it is space, they have tons of it. I will try the shiny objects and mirror.

Back
Top Bottom