Too Much Rain

Claire32

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
With a wetter and colder winter in the forecast, what are some ideas to keep chickens DRY and warm?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I suggest a shelter with at least 3 sides and plenty of ventilation with a covered run.

If you keep them dry they will keep themselves warm... they are wearing down jackets. ;)

I live in the pacific northwest of the US... and it can rain a LOT! The birds like to go out and forage in light rain as it brings the bugs out. Sometimes they do get drenched to the bone... especially if it is their first encounter. They usually learn quickly though how to regulate themselves. And most have nicely oiled feathers that HELP keep from soaking all the way to the skin.

If you have a patio and isn't closed off from them, rest assured they WILL take it over! :barnie

Feed a formulated age appropriate ration... corn does NOT keep chickens warm in cold weather NO matter how many times I read it. Calories provide the energy to keep themselves warm... better to use something that has added vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that meet their needs than something like scratch or cracked corn many will tout which JUST diminishes other nutrients. :old

Adding your general location to your profile will help other make the most appropriate suggestions possible without having to ask first. :)

Large roof overhangs on coop and maybe run,
with open soffits(protected by 1/2" Hardware Cloth) for ventilation.

Pics of your coop and run, inside and out, are necessary for more specific suggestions.

Yes, and...
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-16_8-38-22.png

With a wetter and colder winter in the forecast, what are some ideas to keep chickens DRY and warm?

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

What kind of weather are you talking about? How cold? What kind of wet, hard rain or a lot of mists? Modifying your profile to show your general location can help with a lot of questions.

What does your coop look like? What does your ventilation look like? Can rain or snow blow in? How are the roosts arranged? Photos can help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom