Tools for Building Chicken Coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IslandChicie, Dec 13, 2012.

1. IslandChicie

IslandChicie New Egg

Dec 9, 2012
    Chincoteague Island, VA
    Okay, I am going to do something totally not me and trade in my kitchen apron and gardening boots for a "contractors" belt and try to build something...a chicken coop tractor. Friends and Family members all think I am crazy, but it has been a life long dream to own chickens and I am going to do it!!!!

So for Christmas everyone is asking me what I want. What I want are tools. I have the basic hammer, level, drill with multi bits - but I need to know what other tools, specifically saws, that I will need to build a coop. Like, is a circular saw better than the electric on with the straight blade thingy. That type of thing.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!!!

My future chickens thank you.

2. Frundette

Frundette Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    NC
    [​IMG]

My husband and I built an A-frame tractor coop last spring. The miter saw was extremely useful. Also, there were a couple boards that we had to rip lengthwise. Really, we should have used a table saw, but don't own one, so contented ourselves with using a jigsaw instead. The jig worked... okay. But the cut turned out a little wavy.

But if you've got angles to cut, a miter saw (getting one with a laser guide is worth the extra money, imo!) is awesome.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    A circular saw is best.
    You'll also need a framing square
    and a chalk line if you use plywood
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You'll also need cutting pliers for any wire

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by