Top part of my 7th month old hen's beak broke off.

MollyAncercluck

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
About a week ago i was looking at my flock of 5 hens and noticed the top part of my brahma's beak had come off! I started feeding her oatmeal and i though she would heal and be fine. But then i noticed some of the feathers on her neck were gone. I asked a friend and since it wasn't bloody so we thought it was some strange early molting thing because of the intense heat. But over the next few days its only gotten worse. More of my poor hen's feathers are gone and her skin is bloody with sores. I put neosporin on them but i see no improvement. Any advise would be most appreciated.

:welcome! It sounds like your other birds are picking on her. You should separate her to an area that she can see the other birds from, but they cannot get to her. Chickens just can't resist the site of blood and the color red, and now that she has open sores they will continue to go after her and pick at the sores unless you separate her out until they heal. It sounds like you're doing well so far with the use of neosporin. They're most likely just not healing because the other birds are still picking at them.

As for her beak, if she's still eating and drinking, she should be okay. Depending on how much broke off, it may grow back over time. Otherwise, it's just like she was 'debeaked' like they do to commercial egg layers. She can survive just fine that way as long as she can still eat.

Thank you so much! I will block off an area and keep her apart. But in terms of the coop do you think it is safe to let her be with the others at night, or should she be separated at all times until she is fully healed? I only ask because I am worried she will be nervous being alone and outside in the run at night.

welcome-byc.gif
I think they will get up sooner than you to let them out in the morning and will pick on her some more. Or might knock her off the roost and break the rest of her beak. She may be happy to be away from them.

welcome-byc.gif
I think they will get up sooner than you to let them out in the morning and will pick on her some more. Or might knock her off the roost and break the rest of her beak. She may be happy to be away from them.
x2 Keep her separated at all times until she heals. A bird pecking at her at night will undo all the healing that took place during the day. As she begins to heal, if you have an especially docile bird, you might try putting it with her to keep her company, but keep her completely separated from everybody for at least the first week or so to give her time to start to heal up before you try that.

x2 Keep her separated at all times until she heals. A bird pecking at her at night will undo all the healing that took place during the day. As she begins to heal, if you have an especially docile bird, you might try putting it with her to keep her company, but keep her completely separated from everybody for at least the first week or so to give her time to start to heal up before you try that.
X 2 welcome to BYC.

I have isolated the picked at hen, but she seems really unhappy. She isn't drinking or eating (even greens and scratch!) All she does is pace the wire fencing and look at the other birds. Any tips on how to keep her occupied and happy?

Back
Top Bottom