Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Yes I thought I was doing fine with purina and I probably still would be fine on purina. I didn't mean to imply that purina was no good to use.....I was just trying to follow what the vet instructed me to do.
Oh no, I didn’t think you were saying that at all. I was just curious as to what specifically they didn’t like about the feed. I can’t resist, I like to know things, ask why, etc lol. And the reference to my Pekin was a general one. I know they inherently have issues so I’m thankful she doesn’t have any problems other than family dogs! :drool

Oh no, I didn’t think you were saying that at all. I was just curious as to what specifically they didn’t like about the feed. I can’t resist, I like to know things, ask why, etc lol. And the reference to my Pekin was a general one. I know they inherently have issues so I’m thankful she doesn’t have any problems other than family dogs! :drool
Oh I know... im sorry I got a little-overload with trying to answer all these great questions:D no harm meant or taken.

Ducks have specific dietary needs and Chicken feed is not balanced enough. My Vet told me to inform my BYC friends to purchase feed that shows its formulated for Ducks and Chickens. A water fowl feed is best. Grains and veggies. Dry Cat food as a treat...Free range in summer.
I'm lucky I guess because I can purchase Duck specific feed that is only $12 a bag...:frow

That is why we rec All Flock because it is the closest most of us can get to plain ole water fowl feed. With out ordering and freight would be cost prohibited. To be able to buy Duck specific feed for 12 a bag is unheard of here in the US. It's very expensive if you can find it.
I have raised most of my flock on Purina Flock Raiser and never had any problems with it not being a great feed for all poultry, I would have continued using it except I wanted to feed my flock NON GMO since I eat their eggs and I don't eat GMO food.

That is why we rec All Flock because it is the closest most of us can get to plain ole water fowl feed. With out ordering and freight would be cost prohibited. To be able to buy Duck specific feed for 12 a bag is unheard of here in the US. It's very expensive if you can find it.
I have raised most of my flock on Purina Flock Raiser and never had any problems with it not being a great feed for all poultry, I would have continued using it except I wanted to feed my flock NON GMO since I eat their eggs and I don't eat GMO food.
Yes, that's why I asked about it too. I'm wondering if the vet has something against Purina or if it was just the chicken formula one that was being given. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what the vet says.

I call and left a message with the front desk at the vets. He said the reason was more likely to do with the proteins levels, but will get back with me. I haven’t heard back yet.

Again, I’m sorry I’m not trying to underestimate anyone’s knowledge or experiences with Purina. It has and always will be a great feed choice. I was trying to understand the differences between the different brands of poultry feed and waterfowl feed. :)

I call and left a message with the front desk at the vets. He said the reason was more likely to do with the proteins levels, but will get back with me. I haven’t heard back yet.

Again, I’m sorry I’m not trying to underestimate anyone’s knowledge or experiences with Purina. It has and always will be a great feed choice. I was trying to understand the differences between the different brands of poultry feed and waterfowl feed. :)
I don't think anyone thought you were trying to do that. i think we are all just mostly curious about it and just like you we want to learn too. :D

Back
Top Bottom