Topic of the Week - Feeding Ducks

Do anyone sprout grains for ducks? i sprout barley for my chickens (and give a homemade dry grain/lentil etc mix). I am getting ducks this spring and I've been reading up on feed and the differences in duck needs. but it seems most people buy a comercial feed.
Will ducks eat sprouted grains? As anyone tried?

Congratulations!

Seeing how they like veggies I think they will hammer sprouts.
I just found out that cherry tomatoes are duck crack.:wee

I think I have a bunch of tomato addicts now...

Things I have learned in last 36 hours.

1. Fermented feed tastes like fishy oatmeal porridge. My ducks like dry.
2. Tomatoes are crack and it spoils them for at least an half hour.
3. I can operate on 30 minute naps every hour and half.

Springtime Ducks are love! :love

Is it spring time in Texas??

I have feed my flock FF for 6 yrs now will be 7 this Oct. Never had any problems with it after I switched from the wet soupy stuff to using Sally Sunshines method .
My flock prefers the moist over dry.

Thank you. I will give it a try again. I really like the idea and science behind ff.

I'll start a batch today and see how it goes.

I do it with my birds when it isn’t freezing outside as I let the sun heat my buckets up. But that doesn’t really work when it’s frozen like a rock.

My birds like it and I know enough about the science that I don’t worry about them getting sick. I inoculate the feedwith lactobacilli about once a week. That way I ensure they don’t get feed with lots of yeast. Not that there is a lot of bad things about yeast, I just know I don’t want to eat anything with lots of live yeast. So I don’t want to feed it to my birds either. And their poop smells loooootttsss better.

I do it with my birds when it isn’t freezing outside as I let the sun heat my buckets up. But that doesn’t really work when it’s frozen like a rock.

My birds like it and I know enough about the science that I don’t worry about them getting sick. I inoculate the feedwith lactobacilli about once a week. That way I ensure they don’t get feed with lots of yeast. Not that there is a lot of bad things about yeast, I just know I don’t want to eat anything with lots of live yeast. So I don’t want to feed it to my birds either. And their poop smells loooootttsss better.

My son was easier to raise.:barnie

Since my ducks are just barely 6 weeks old I'm still feeding chick starter. I shred up baby carrots and celery to give them as treats and I'm getting a head of purple cabbage on my next shopping day. I've also gotten some grass clippings out of the yard and floated then in a pan of water which they enjoy bobbing for and eating.

I am adopting my new ducks in about a week! I currently have chickens and they are working on a bag of 18% layer crumbles. Will this be sufficient for my new ducks (they are almost 2 years old and laying, except for one drake, who obviously isn't laying)? Will I need to supplement it with anything else (also have oyster shells)? I'd rather wait until this bag is gone before I buy something along the lines of Flock Raiser, but have no problem switching feed for everyone in the future. Thanks for your input! I want them to have a smooth and healthy transition to their new home.

I am adopting my new ducks in about a week! I currently have chickens and they are working on a bag of 18% layer crumbles. Will this be sufficient for my new ducks (they are almost 2 years old and laying, except for one drake, who obviously isn't laying)? Will I need to supplement it with anything else (also have oyster shells)? I'd rather wait until this bag is gone before I buy something along the lines of Flock Raiser, but have no problem switching feed for everyone in the future. Thanks for your input! I want them to have a smooth and healthy transition to their new home.
I’d ask what they are eating now. If they can give you some extra feed you can mix it with what you have now so the transition is easier for them.

Back
Top Bottom