Topic of the Week - I wish I knew…

9. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks never have that certain 'Time of the Month'.

God Bless America

JP

I've had Leghorns before and love them. However, 2 week old Leghorn Chicks may never have that certain "Time of the Month" but mature adult Leghorn hens with laying cycles is a whole different story. They can get pretty crabby!

I wish I had known
  1. That it is NOT okay to keep 6 roosters in with 11 hens. Ratios are important.
  2. Mites are a real problem
  3. That it's not a good idea to bring birds in from unknown backgrounds
  4. Impulse chick buying is not ideal
  5. Heated metal bases will melt plastic waterers
  6. Welded metal fences may keep chickens in but they won't keep predators out
  7. Possums are evil

I wish I had been more aware of how common parasites are. I thought that because my flock free ranged over a huge area and I refreshed their coop weekly (or so) they'd be alright, and so I never thought to check for parasites. After a bird died from internal parasites, I wizened up, and now it's one of the first things I think to treat for when I have birds that start losing weight, acting lethargic, and stop laying. Still, had I considered that bad things can happen to good chicken owners I could have saved that bird, and cured the others much faster.

(also, I totally agree with the people lamenting impulse buying- I've bought chicks every year since I first got chickens, and they've almost always been a mistake.)

I wish I had known just how attached one can get and how hard it is to lose a favorite violently. Tough to lose any birds, but the faves really hurt.
I wish I had known what flystrike was without learning the hard and horrible way.
I wish I known just how many things can go wrong and how to treat them before it was too late.
I wish I had joined BYC earlier!!!
Countless other things, to be sure, but those are all I can think of off the top of my head.

I’m amazed at how much grass they eat. They trim my lawn every day. Not a problem but I just sit and watch in awe. They eat grass. Lots of it. :idunnoWho knew?

Also, I always said when they stop laying they are dinner. Mine aren’t even laying but I am so adored with all of them, I can’t imagine eating one. Which will be a problem :)

Back
Top Bottom