Topic of the Week - I wish I knew…

Wish I knew that as chicks or even juveniles, most chicken breeds seem to get along -- but as each different breed's individuality matures I found that certain breeds REALLY should not be together in the same flock! Putting some heavier assertive breeds together with gentler bantams is a formula for bullying!

I wish I had known more about the differences between Internet Dating and being a Chicken Farmer 10 years ago...

1. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER ask for my Credit Card.
2. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER have something '...better to do' than to spend time with me.
3. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER ask for the keys to my car or truck.
4. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER need pills to combat IBS, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, or Obesity...
5. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks are ALWAYS excited to see me every single time I visit them.
6. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER need makeup.
7. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER show up late for a date.
8. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks actually want me to hold them and love them.
9. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks never have that certain 'Time of the Month'.
10. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks always enjoy my singing, whistling, and lectures...

God Bless America

JP

I wish I had known more about the differences between Internet Dating and being a Chicken Farmer 10 years ago...

1. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER ask for my Credit Card.
2. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER have something '...better to do' than to spend time with me.
3. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER ask for the keys to my car or truck.
4. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER need pills to combat IBS, Bipolar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, or Obesity...
5. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks are ALWAYS excited to see me every single time I visit them.
6. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER need makeup.
7. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks NEVER show up late for a date.
8. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks actually want me to hold them and love them.
9. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks never have that certain 'Time of the Month'.
10. My 2 week old Leghorn Chicks always enjoy my singing, whistling, and lectures...

God Bless America

JP

Best one yet :lau

I wish I knew that more space is always better...we bought a coop for our six chickens that was advertised as a great coop for 8-12 chickens, but seemed small to me. I always figured that the commercial coops were best because they were advertised as such. In the end, we ended up converting a large horse stall and it works better than any coop that we've looked at.

I wish I had known how cold hardy chicks really are, especially when feathered, especially when raised naturally by a broody, and how much better a broody acclimates the brood to low temps.

We would not have burned down a coop with all pullets inside our first year as we put in a flood lamp to keep them warm on the first day of fall cold.

Now I just let mom do the job even in sub-freezing weather. Mom and babes are just fine without heat. Babes feather and acclimate fine, without heat. Pullets are fine, without heat.

Lofmc

I wish I knew that even though you don't see the predators, the threat is very real. I also wish I knew that security is more important than I thought and that they are a long-term commitment. They are also quite more work than expected. I also wish I knew that coop design is not something to take lightly and that being able to clean it easily is a top priority.

Back
Top Bottom