Topic of the Week - Lice and Mites - Prevention and Treatments

Pics
I sprayed the coop with Spinosad. Ive been debating the ivermectin or sevin (eight?) to treat the girls. I know I will have to spray the coop again after /at the same time as treating the chickens

I sprayed the coop with Spinosad. Ive been debating the ivermectin or sevin (eight?) to treat the girls. I know I will have to spray the coop again after /at the same time as treating the chickens
Sevin is carbaryl, which is no longer effective in treating Norther Fowl Mites, and eight looks like it's a type of permethrin. What spinosad product did you use?

quite. 2 0z per gallon. Used a high pressure sprayer while the girls played in the dirt. I didn't know if it was ok to use on chickens, and I didn't have anyone to help me anyway

quite. 2 0z per gallon. Used a high pressure sprayer while the girls played in the dirt. I didn't know if it was ok to use on chickens, and I didn't have anyone to help me anyway
Okay... that's probably part of the problem... That is way too diluted. When mixed properly, Elector PSP is diluted to 1% spinosad.

The stuff you used is 0.5% spinosad, 99.5% other ingredients. Are those other ingredients safe for poultry? When using the 0.5 % stuff you would have to mix it to a percentage strong enough to treat mites, and that means mixing it so the the final percentage is 1%.

Before using, please verify that all the "other" ingredients are safe for poultry.

Any 0.5% product (0.5% spinosad - 99.5% other ingredients)

Directions for all 0.5% products:
Add 757 ml (26 ounces) of pesticide to empty one gallon container then fill to one gallon mark with 3028 ml of water.

So basically a 32 ounce bottle (946 ml) will make just one gallon of mite spray.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom