Topic of the Week - Perches for Coop and Run

IMG_5988.JPG
I have mine apoxie painted so I can wash them.

Very interesting thread. If you use 2 by 4 lumber, do you round the edges, and if so , what is the quickest way to do it? I need to get busy because my orpingtons have grown larger than I expected and need new larger perches. Thank you for the wonderful information!

Very interesting thread. If you use 2 by 4 lumber, do you round the edges, and if so , what is the quickest way to do it? I need to get busy because my orpingtons have grown larger than I expected and need new larger perches. Thank you for the wonderful information!
I think they are 2x2 that I used. I also did not round the edges

Key for roosts IMO is to have them at least 12" away from wall and about a foot higher than nests.
Height of roost is determined by landing area, that's why I have ramps in my 6' wide coop tho not all birds use them.

I use 2x4's wide side up, 2x2's, and a bench and branch out in run.
full

full

full

Some roost on 2x2 edge of board....some like the board itself:
full

If you use 2 by 4 lumber, do you round the edges, and if so , what is the quickest way to do it?
Shouldn't be necessary, they aren't usually a crisp, sharp 90° edge. If you did want to do it the quickest way is with a roundover bit in a router. But if you don't already have a router, you can just use a wood rasp or coarse sandpaper.

If one does have parallel roosts, they should be at least 18" apart to keep birds from running into each other or picking on each other.

I have a tree branch in the coop for my chickens, but they just fly up to the nesting boxes. is that normal?
If you make the roost pole higher than the nest box they should use it. Chickens like to get high as they can when roosting. Like a Billy goat LOL. I have 2 roosting poles one at 2 feet high and one at five feet high. They jump up on the first and then jump to the high one. Mine also like it all the way to the left. The pole is 8 feet long but they bunch up together in the left 2 feet. LOL Loco chickens.

Well informed and aware of the need for chickens to cover their feet as they roost during sub-freezing winter nights is the reason I chose four inch pine branches. The surface area is not much different than that of a milled 2 x 4.

Back
Top Bottom