Topic of the Week - Raising Chicks

Pics
The secret to it is that it has to hang level or the water will spill. You have to maintain the vacuum on the top too or the water will drain out. Another advantage of hanging it is that the chicks can’t knock it over. If it’s done right, hanging is a good method.

I used to use those bottles but switched to this. When the chicks are young I fill it with rocks so they don’t drown, some people use marbles but around here rocks are free. I have to empty this daily because they do poop in it, but my brood size is usually between 15 and 25. They need a fair amount of water, especially when they get older with those larger broods. This is something that works for me.

You can know the chicks are happy if you hear chirping-chatter. Just brought my new 8 pallets home and after i put the thermometer in the brooder it showed 100 degrees under the 250 watt heat lamp. I don't have a 150 watt so put a spot light in there and it's much better. Before I knew it was that hot the chickens went to the other side of the cage and were eating and drinking. The can regulate how much heat they need by where they position themselves in the space you give them.

That definitely sounds like a roo to me. I've been in chickens for 7 years and have raised purchased chicks and hen hatched chicks. I usually put a large rock (we have plenty on the farm) in the brooder for them to get on. It also promotes heat.

I have free-range chickens and a rooster will be mean to chicks at feeding time. I have seen them grab a chick and toss it a few feet away from the feeder. I would not put young chicks in an enclosure with a full grown rooster; penned up chickens are more aggressive. Also, certain breeds are more aggressive. I have an Buff Orpington rooster that wouldn't hurt a fly (excluding my other rooster, but isn't really mean toward him).

This is awesome! I would like to try something similar. My current flock is 13 hens and one rooster. Is there any concern with the rooster and the young chicks?

Depends on the rooster. Most are just fine with little chicks, some get a little feed possessive towards the little ones. I've only had one rooster like that...all the rest have been just fine with little ones.

My roo is quite the family man. When I hatch chicks, I brood them in a coop that is about 15' away from the run. When I bring a baby over to his run in my hands, he will come to the fence and talk to the baby. When I integrate them with the rest of the flock while they are still peeps, he will tid bit the babies and let them take food out of his beak, and let them groom the FF off his wattles. He LOVES his babies. I'm more apt to have a hen show aggression to a baby.

My roo is quite the family man.  When I hatch chicks, I brood them in a coop that is about 15' away from the run.  When I bring a baby over to his run in my hands, he will come to the fence and talk to the baby.   When I integrate them with the rest of the flock while they are still peeps, he will tid bit the babies and let them take food out of his beak, and let them groom the FF off his wattles.  He LOVES his babies.  I'm more apt to have a hen show aggression to a baby.

X2

This is awesome! I would like to try something similar. My current flock is 13 hens and one rooster. Is there any concern with the rooster and the young chicks?
My roos is great with the chicks... 2 of My 4 BGJ hens will scalp them if they try to eat by them.. the other hens are fine with them ..depends on the adult bird I guess

Back
Top Bottom